How I obtained my personal files from Bethel

by jwfacts 123 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• fokyc
    fokyc

I applied for information by using the UK Data Protection Act, and Yes I DID expect to receive information that was already known to me; BUT I received none of that. I received letters which I knew NOTHING about and were the most heinous; about not only myself but my wife and other members of the congregation. This is illegal in itself, as remarks about others are supposed to be deleted or obliterated.

I could and perhaps should have sought legal advice; my wife encouraged me to try and forget it, I will NEVER forget what these so called loving people have written about me and my wife.

• Gerard
    Gerard

I get the point. So your file contains not just a report of your JW curriculum vitae but cutish assesments of you and your loyalty to the WT.

It also reveals some aspects of the Society's internal mechanism of the ladder of power.

I agree that it is also very interesting to see their assessment that faith in Jehovah is not nearly as important as having faith in the WashTowel; that is something that has been deducted, but this time it is written by them.

Thank you for your patience to explain.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Fokyc, would you consider documenting your case here, as Paul has done, with personal details removed perhaps, for future legal reference in the United Kingdom?

• fokyc
    fokyc

I will make the letter of application available to you,

this would be useful to anyone requiring their information from either their UK Cong. or Mill Hill branch office.

I will prepare and make a pdf of it. Watch this space!

Sorry for the delay but snooker is more important this pm

• fokyc
  • Phee
    Phee

I wonder...

Since I was a minor at the time when I was a witness and at the time I left.... Would this have any impact on whether personal files should be released? (I'm in the US)

I find it interesting that they showed my Mom a "Letter of disassociation" that I wrote when I was 14 to my Father, who, which I didn't know until recently, gave it to the Elders. The reason it's so interesting is because I didn't leave and had continued 'privledges' until I was 16, however they used this letter as proof that I disassociated myself, even though they ignored this "letter" until I stopped going.

I don't think that I really care at this point....but I have to wonder about so many inconsistencies with my file and dates where they've covered things up with my rape by a MS, they've used 'portions' of my file to show some close friends that were fighting for me as some sort of proof that I was the bad person in all of this. Even though I was threatened with lawyers and disfellowshipping when I was only 14 and a victim of rape.

After all was said and done, one of my close friends actually told me "Jehovah will always take out the weeds from among us." So they obviously made something look much different than it really was. And she no longer talks to me since then.

Good work Paul! I appreciate your courage and willingness to fight for what is rightfully yours.

-Phee

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Phee - it is shocking that they do that to a 14 year old, and how unethical to not accept a d/a letter and then use it against you 2 years later.

FOKYC - If you do not mind, can you send me your letter as I would love to include it as an example of a successful format for UK laws. Block out any personal information that you do not want included, or I can remove names etc for you.

• fokyc
    fokyc

jwfacts, You have a PM

fokyc

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Wow, this is great! Thanks for all the hard work you did! I'm fascinated by the "official" paperwork the WT puts out... Most people never get a chance to see any of this stuff.

It proves that being a Jehovah's Witness means being a follower of the Watchtower Society rather than a follower of Jehovah.

That's the real ticket. This is the real reason why JW's are completely useless. They are so apart from God, they don't even know it. They simply CANNOT think about God without the organization getting in the way. This is truly a mind-controlling cult.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Hi jwfacts ,

Thank you very much for this thread. Iam wondering, can those living in the US also order their files from the WashTowel? Other than FOIA, I am unaware of a federal or state law that might be applicable to this situation for those living in the US. Does anyone have information about this?

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit