JW's being asked not to marry?

by life is to short 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cult classic
    cult classic

my great-grand and grand mothers always talked about how they told them not to marry and have kids........

"It amounts to cruel and unusual punishment to raise children in this cancer of a religion. A whole generation of youth on antidepressants and bipolar from this nonsense"

That's hilarious Misery................and some of my jw family is working on raising up the 5th gen in this garbage. I wish they would drop it like a bad habit.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Didn't Rutherford do the same? I cant find it right now but i'm sure he sat all the children down in front at a convention and pretty much squashed the idea of marriage back then too.

The WBTS is like 'Days of our lives'! you can tune in 20 years later and still pick up the story!

oz

• moshe
    moshe

I suspect that the WT org looked at the demographics of all the ones who quit the WT org after 1975 and they said- "look, it's the singles and childless couples who left- those with children have stayed in the Org- so let's encourage them to get married and have kids- otherwise our numbers could keep going down, down."

I guess the present GB will have to learn that lesson again. Come 2014- the 100th anniversay of 1914, there will be a multitude of JW's who will make a mental break with the WT org. Stupidity can only be defended for so long and then your mind says, enough already!

• parakeet
    parakeet

Dubs not marrying and having children is a great idea. I hope the WTS makes it "new light" doctrine.

No more dub kids leading lives of misery, and the cult will fade out before the year 2050.

Go for it, gb! Why should you celibate geezers have all the fun?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

w88 3/1 Responsible Childbearing it this Time of The End

My wife was preganant when this article came out, I remember us talking about it and feeling a little guilty. In the past few decades and at the SAD recently, they are more careful to not totally speak against it, but the heavy slant is clearly the benefit and joy of waiting.

I debriefed my 16 year old daughter about the assembly, first she mentioned "the time left is reduced" and then she mentioned about singleness, she paused and asked, "why do they tell us that ... why can't we just decide for ourselves if we want to be married" ... I assured her that she can and I was happy she was reasoning on it. I told her that our religion has been saying these things for over a hundred years so she needs to take that into consideration. I have been working at getting my kids and wife to think about what they hear. My wife knows why and does not appreciate it.

Another sad note, our CO's wife, she is adorable and loves children. Since she was a little girl she has wanted a lot of children, but is waiting until the new system. I feel so bad for her. She loves to talk with the small children in the hall and adores the babies.

• Lieu
    Lieu

Don't think I've ever read anything in the Bible regarding getting married or having chilins in the NS TM

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

History repeats itself. My parents went together for 10 years because the society pressured couples not to marry back in the 30s and 40s. Finally someone at headquarters married, and suddenly there was new light. They finally married in 1949. My mom was 33 and my dad was 40.

Coffee

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I hope the result of this is (a) massive fornication, to the point where half the congregation has to be disfellowshipped within a month, and (b) no children to be raised in the cancer. Then let's see if they can post 7.3 million.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit