2010 - Year of the Governing Body?

by lepermessiah 61 Replies latest jw friends

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

Let me explain by what I am getting at without sounding like Captain Obvious!

I am actually excited about this since I think this could help assist a TON of people out of this organization!!

I believe that the Governing Body is stepping up efforts to emphasize their unconditional rulership - every WT study article seems to make reference to their authority. In years past, it seems as if study articles would make a quick reference to Matthew 24:45 and just leave it at that.

Now, the authority of the GB is stressed over and over. They minimize the authority of the "anointed" less and less and now its just the GB.

I have noticed that elders continually make comments regarding the authority of the slave, following the direction of the Borg, etc........

When they came over to "shepherd" me, thats all I heard. Obviously they are getting direction along those lines, since I never talked like that when I was an elder......

The July 15th Watchtower made this statement (highlighed on here previously)

When the time comes to clarify a spiritual
    matter in our day, holy spirit helps responsible
    representatives of “the faithful
    and discreet slave” at world headquarters to
    discern deep truths that were not previously
    understood. (Matt. 24:45; 1 Cor. 2:13) The
    Governing Body as a whole considers adjusted
    explanations. (Acts 15:6) What they
    learn, they publish for the benefit of all.
    (Matt.10:27) As time goes on, further clarifications
    may be needed, and these too are
    honestly explained.

Excuse me if I am a little slow, but wouldnt that mean that they are claiming that the WT is inspired of God? How else can you spin that?

I cant wait to assemble all of the things that the "Holy Spirit" helped them reveal in the past! I really hope this stuff starts coming back to shoot them in the foot.....or should I say "bruise them in the head"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Ask them, without using WT literature, to explain the difference between "spirit-directed" and "inspired."
    They might do it, but it won't really make sense to them either.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS/FDS/GB will never in print say they inspired by holy spirit...spirit-directed perhaps. Actually this is nothing new. I have been re-reading Ray Franz' start of COC re their never being any GB until 1971 in the WTS language. They have never really been able to explain how the information they get is from any other source than what any "Christian" or jw would get through the inspired bible and through requests for holy spirit through prayer. They point to the event regarding the decision on circumcision.

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

Thanks OTWO and Blondie -

The other thing that COC really helped me reason on:

If something or someone is "spirit directed", wouldnt all the GB members get the same message from the spirit and all vote unanimously on a life-or-death matter?

• DavidAvid
    DavidAvid

could someone tell me - succinctly - what the motivation is of the GB? Why do they do it? Are they being led by someone or something unseen?

David

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The average JW doesn't know about the 2/3rds vote and assumes that serious stuff is unanimous. If you try to tell them otherwise, they say you wouldn't know and Ray Franz is a bitter guy that became an apostate. They would see Satan in your comments, his writings, these questions.

Also, elders are generally directed to be unanimous in their decisions, but the way the C.O. gets this is to tell them why they are wrong when they don't agree, tell them why the spirit might be hindered from the individual because he refuses to let go of a prejudice or fear or whatever. The occasional elder that doesn't switch to the majority vote is viewed as holding on beyond the spirit's direction. This not only allows them to get things done, but it makes them think they understand how the spirit operates.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

could someone tell me - succinctly - what the motivation is of the GB? Why do they do it? Are they being led by someone or something unseen?

Besides the power and life of ease?

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

what the motivation is of the GB

Power and Authority......even the best of so-called "christians" get drunk with it!

• fokyc
    fokyc

DavidAvid said: "Are they being led by someone or something unseen?"

They are being led by their great friend, Satan!

That is the only solution, which answers my problems with them.

• sir82
    sir82

There's a lot of fluffy hand-waving and excess verbiage in the quote from the article above. Clear out the window dressing and what do you have?

Holy spirit helps...slave...at world headquarters to discern deep truths....

Governing body publishes what they learn....

Can someone explain the difference between "inspired by holy spirit" and what the essential message above is? Cuz I sure don't see it.

While you're at it, can somebody explain how "a 180 degree flip flip of our previous position" qualifies as a "clarification"?

Shoot, go for broke - explain how many angels can dance on the head of a pin while you're at it....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit