Left foot braking thread lives again...

by JWoods 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "Thank you, Jim. I agree."

No worries.

One other thing that I'll say about left-foot braking... it comes in handy sometimes when some jerk is riding your bumper.

I gently apply the brake with my left foot - whilst still driving - my right foot on the accelerator. NOTE: Barely applying brake pedal pressure - just enough to trigger the brake lights.

The fella behind me sees 'brakes' - and hits their brakes - and backs waaaaaay off - which is just fine by me - they shouldn't be tailgating.

I told my wife about this little trick - and she told me soon after that she was driving on the freeway - and some idiot was tailgating her. She tried the trick - and she was pleased to report that it works very well. heh heh heh

BUT!!! I must warn you - if you're not used to applying brake pressure with the left foot - you may 'hit' it too hard and lock the brakes. Gentle is the key word. Light gentle pressure - enough to trigger the brake lights. That's all that is needed to get 'em off your bumper.

Regards,

Jim TX

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I first learned to drive a manual shift, so I still left foot break or both foot break.

I still drive a manual shift truck occasionally too, it's our second vehicle.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Here's what I told my kid during that (gulp!) First Driving Lesson: If you get in the habit of left-foot braking, you will have to un-learn it when you drive a car with a clutch pedal. Imagine a habitual left-footer haking to make a sudden stop in a car with a clutch...OH NO--NO BRAKES!...and the time it takes to realize the mistake and push the middle pedal can be the difference between a close call and a crash.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Left foot, right foot....what's important is you stop the car BEFORE you slam the rear of the one in front, or bridge, or wall.......had a friend that used his left foot, never gave it much thought, way he was taught I suppose. Funny thing too, his Dad sold insurance.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit