Who do you consider as a friend ??

by troubled mind 18 Replies latest jw friends

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

When we were witnesses every other witness was our "friend" ,but more often than not they were just aquantinces involved in the same religion as we were . At the time I felt I would have given my life for others in my hall . I tried very hard to be a good friend to others by showing personal interest in their lives and offering encouragement or help when they needed it ,but I never really felt a real connection with most .

I always wanted to have a friend and be the type of friend that could just stop by to shoot the breeze at anytime and feel welcome . Maybe i was looking for family instead of friendship possibly Ihave the two confused ?

With friends among those at the hall l had to always be on guard so as to not offend ..... Many times friendship was based upon how spiritual you were perceived as being ...We laughed we cried togehter we raised our children together ,but still something was missing .....what was that ?

I have only one or two people in my life now that I really consider as close friends .People that I would drop everything for to go help or that i know I can be open and honest without fear of rejection because my opinion is different than theirs .

What about you ?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

My friends are the folks who don't run away when I hit a tough spot in life. They stand by me.

• blondie
    blondie

The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right.
    - Notebook, 1898

The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

Mark Twain

• snowbird
    snowbird

A friend will remain a friend during your best or worst times; a friend likes you, period.

The best friend I had moved to another county. No, she was not a JW. She cursed, drank, smoked, sexed it up out of wedlock, but she and I had a great friendship and would have done anything for each other.

I was never able to forge a friendship like that at the KH. That, too, was one of the things that used to bother me.

This is a great thread, TM.

Sylvia

• blondie
    blondie

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for."
    Mark Twain

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

a friend is not someone who you know for 20 yrs you've been there for them helping them when their life turned upside down and one day in a private conversation you express misgivings about the organization and they turn you in to the inquisition telling them word for word what you said but never letting on to you till after you've had your "meeting" with the elders and you express the desire not to speak to them again they seem surprised that you didn't view it as a loving act.

• minimus
    minimus

someone who is unequivocally there for you.

• undercover
    undercover

I have lots of acquaintances...I know lots of people...I associate with lots of people in different settings. I can go to different places and be recognized or recoginze people and have a good time.

But I have very few real friends. Using LWT's or minimus' definition, the number is really small, I don't need both hands to count them...and one of those is my wife.

Yet, this is not a wallowing in self pity by admitting this. I am quite comfortable in my situation. I grew up without a lot of friends or fellowship. I learned to entertain myself. I learned how to be alone but not lonely. And I have to admit, I'm hard to get to know (or like). I'm very private, I prefer solitude to being in a crowded room, I tend to migrate to a corner at parties, I avoid being the center of attention (unless I've had to much to drink...then I can be quite the live wire...persuaded to join the band, sing off-key harmony, or any number of equally embarrassing things). I can be eccentric and an enigma all at the same time. I don't fit in any one group of people...labels bug me and I hate to be pigeon-holed, so I usually don't like to be associated with any particular group/club/fad/etc. That probably explains why I was never happy as a dub. Talk about having to conform and be identified with a group...

• its_me!
    its_me!

A friend is like a family member that you get to choose. Blood IS NOT thicker than water in my opinion. My family has treated me like a piece of dirt, and my friends have treated me like a daughter and a sister. They are there for me REGARDLESS of what my beliefs are, even when my beliefs disagree with their own.

I thought that I had that kind of friend in the org, but I have recently found out that I didn't. She puts me in mind of a robot. No real HUMAN emotion. Just programmed to do and say certain things, to come off as human, but if you tore away the skin, there would just be wires and circuit boards.

• restrangled
    restrangled

There have been few and far between, but the ones I do have I treasure with all my heart. I would never turn my back on them, nor they on me.

In our darkest hours we support each other. We grew up together, and despite sometimes months or even years of not being face to face, we always pick up like it was yesterday......or drop everything at a moments notice and board a plane despite being thousands of miles away. All but one I am related to which also makes them family.

I cannot imagine, ...... not having them in my life.

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit