Most-Ignored Scriptures by JWs

by Mad Sweeney 508 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The Watchtower has been known for over 130 years as a great scriptural cherry-picker. They pick out disparate unrelated verses and combine them to support the wackiest of wacky doctrines.

On the other hand there are many scriptures they ALMOST NEVER address, whether because they contradict WT doctrine or because they simply don't have a clue what they mean or how to spin them to the WT advantage.

One of these is Revelation 19:1 that mentions a "great crowd" "in heaven." The only time it is ever brought up it is dismissed. "Well, obviously this must be a DIFFERENT "great crowd" from Revelation 7:9 because that great crowd is going to live forever on earth," they say. "But 7:9 says they're 'before the throne' and this one says they're 'in heaven' so what makes you think they're on earth?" you ask. They answer, "because they're two different great crowds."

It forces them into an uncomfortable circular argument so they generally avoid Revelation 19:1.

What other scriptures do JWs avoid because it upsets their applecart? Or if there is further discussion of Rev. 19:1, that's cool, too.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I haven’t picked up a Bible for 10 years so I don’t have any scriptures in mind, but I remember as a JW I would sometimes read a random portion of the Bible and think, “the Society has never mentioned THIS scripture!??” Often it would be a scripture that clearly says that all followers of Christ would be heaven-bound, or something that obviously was in contradiction with WTS doctrines.

I think it was a series of these little “ah-ha” moments which enabled me to start thinking for myself.

• blondie
    blondie

WTS explanation, this is a very weak explanation saying that the phrase is used in 3 occasions about a crowd of people following Jesus on earth. There must be a scientific name for this.

*** rs p. 168 par. 1 Heaven ***The "great crowd in heaven" referred to at Revelation 19:1, 6 is not the same as the "great crowd" of Revelation 7:9. The ones in heaven are not described as being "out of all nations" or as ascribing their salvation to the Lamb; they are angels. The expression "great crowd" is used in a variety of contexts in the Bible.—Mark 5:24; 6:34; 12:37.

(Mark

5:24) At that he went off with him. And a great crowd was following him and pressing against him.

• GreyWolf
    GreyWolf

Thanks for pointing this out, Mad. Another text the like to ignore is Hebrews 1:11 that shows the physicl heavens and eart will perish. Where will their earthly great crowd be then?

GreyWolf

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Great topic. Try these:

• Luke 21:8: He said: “Look out that YOU are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time has approached.’ Do not go after them. [In other words, Jesus said don't follow religious leaders who say The End is near.]
    • Matthew 8:11: But I tell YOU that many from eastern parts and western parts will come and recline at the table with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of the heavens [so Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are in heaven?]
    • Luke 16:19-31 (parable of rich man and Lazarus) [total acid trip that throws a wrench into JW beliefs regarding the afterlife]
    • Luke 10:7: So stay in that house, eating and drinking the things they provide, for the worker is worthy of his wages. Do not be transferring from house to house. [this verse explicitly states NOT to go house-to-house]
  • sir82
    sir82

John 20:28-29 (New International Version)

28 Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"

29 Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

• poor places
    poor places

My favorite ignored scripture is probably Ecclesiastes 1:11: "There is no remembrance of people of former times, nor will there be of those also who come to be later. There will prove to be no remembrance even of them among those who will come to be still later on." Doesn't exactly support belief in life in a paradise earth or in heaven after death, does it?

Another favorite is the context of Matthew 24:45. Verse 48 says, "But if ever that evil slave should say in his heart, 'My master is delaying,' and should start to beat his fellow slaves...the master of that slave will...punish him with the greatest severity." According to this verse, the "faithful and discreet slave" could be evil. Of course, you never hear that from the platform. It's beyond incredible that no one ever mentions that part of the account. Or if they do mention it, they totally mess with its meaning.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Zechariah 14:3 “And Jehovah will certainly go forth and war against those nations as in the day of his warring, in the day of fight. 4 And his feet will actually stand in that day upon the mountain of the olive trees, which is in front of Jerusalem, on the east;

Luke 12:32 “Have no fear, little flock, because YOUR Father has approved of giving YOU the kingdom. 33 Sell the things belonging to YOU and give gifts of mercy.

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

• jonathan dough
  • dgp
    dgp

I'm with Jonathan Dough:

1 Corinthians 13:1-13 (New World Translation):

1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels but do not have love, I have become a sounding [piece of] brass or a clashing cymbal. 2 And if I have the gift of prophesying and am acquainted with all the sacred secrets and all knowledge, and if I have all the faith so as to transplant mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give all my belongings to feed others, and if I hand over my body, that I may boast, but do not have love, I am not profited at all.

4 Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, does not get puffed up, 5 does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. 6 It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. 7 It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never fails. But whether there are [gifts of] prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will be done away with. 9 For we have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially; 10 but when that which is complete arrives, that which is partial will be done away with. 11 When I was a babe, I used to speak as a babe, to think as a babe, to reason as a babe; but now that I have become a man, I have done away with the [traits] of a babe. 12 For at present we see in hazy outline by means of a metal mirror, but then it will be face to face. At present I know partially, but then I shall know accurately even as I am accurately known. 13 Now, however, there remain faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

</form>

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit