Again debating Sipping The Kool-Aid, I'm just frustrated....

by Confuzzled 17 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot
    The truth is I don't want to

You have said it.......now embrace it fully...... and be at peace with yourself and religious freedom.

Whatever the situation is and bailing ain't an immediate option, doesn't mean you can't make small steps to ending what sounds like an unbalanced relationship.

I know we all cave to our men sometimes (okay a lot)....... but since he isn't going to Mass/Service with you in an equal compromise it would be akin to throwing pearls at swine. He won't appreciate your gesture, rather he will begin to expect it as a token of your affection.

Why not take a leap...... leave this website open for him to find and encourage him to 'lurk' some and to get an idea of your fears. He will probably immediately dismiss the idea, but pursue it......say some of the things you have read really really bother you! Pull up those links and discuss them fully or until the frustrations grows to the point where you suggest that 'yall' join to ask questions of these JWN people. See if you can get him to be interactive.

Greenie's post are similar in nature, her fiance and father of her child is a born-in but never dunked 'lax' JW. He has started back attending loosely since the birth of their child. She talks about her struggle to just wants mutual balance and respect. She just wants a loving two parent home for her little one......

For as much as he is involved with the JWs, be involved in your congregation...... share with him all the wonderful things happening in your church!

Best Wishes, Standfirm in your desires.

• Confuzzled
    Confuzzled

He told me he would not disrespect "Jehovah" at this point by attending church with me, and we worship idols, meaning the cross, the windows, and statuary that decorate our sanctuary. I HAVE NEVER worshipped anything inanimate in my life, but he doesn't believe me, or doesn't understand. He will not go. I tld him go with my dad, without me, but he still won't. He also steadfastly refuses to read anything anti-JW, not even to humor me. I suspect he has, though, as i suspect most JWs with internet access have. One of his biggest goals is to become a staunch JW. He sows his oats now, but is convinced that he will be ready to "get dunked" in a few years. He doesn't even feel worthy of the title JW right now. He sees them as the holiest and most peaceful people alive. 0_o. Thats a crock. I don't believe in Buddha, but if he was looking for holiness and peace he should of went to them!

I should start going to mass again, but as an Episcopalian, I'm suffering from my own crisis of faith (Google "Episcopal Church" to see our dirty laundry) and some of the things the hierarchy of my church is doing is as hypocritical as the JW church. Becoming Lutheran is not uncommon in my church nowadays. May be I'll look into that! LOL oh Lord, no wonder people stay or become JW, it must be relaxing to have people tell you what to say and think!

• dgp
    dgp

Confuzzled, yes, it's relaxing to have people tell you what to say and think. But it's not better. The people on this thread will tell you loads about it.

You like the idea of improving yourself and holding yourself to high moral standards, and that is fine. You can find a lot of that outside, and it does not need to come from a religion.

Did you ever read the twenty-one commandments of atheists? Here they are:

1. We are committed to the application of reason and science to the understanding of the universe and to the solving of human problems.

2. We deplore efforts to denigrate human intelligence, to seek to explain the world in supernatural terms, and to look outside nature for salvation.

3. We believe that scientific discovery and technology can contribute to the betterment of human life.

4. We believe in an open and pluralistic society and that democracy is the best guarantee of protecting human rights from authoritarian elites and repressive majorities.

5. We are committed to the principle of the separation of church and state.

6. We cultivate the arts of negotiation and compromise as a means of resolving differences and achieving mutual understanding.

7. We are concerned with securing justice and fairness in society and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance.

8. We believe in supporting the disadvantaged and the handicapped so that they will be able to help themselves.

9. We attempt to transcend divisive parochial loyalties based on race, religion, gender, nationality, creed, class, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, and strive to work together for the common good of humanity.

10. We want to protect and enhance the earth, to preserve it for future generations, and to avoid inflicting needless suffering on other species.

11. We believe in enjoying life here and now and in developing our creative talents to their fullest.

12. We believe in the cultivation of moral excellence.

13. We respect the right to privacy. Mature adults should be allowed to fulfill their aspirations, to express their sexual preferences, to exercise reproductive freedom, to have access to comprehensive and informed health-care, and to die with dignity.

14. We believe in the common moral decencies: altruism, integrity, honesty, truthfulness, responsibility. Humanist ethics is amenable to critical, rational guidance. There are normative standards that we discover together. Moral principles are tested by their consequences.

15. We are deeply concerned with the moral education of our children. We want to nourish reason and compassion.

16. We are engaged by the arts no less than by the sciences.

17. We are citizens of the universe and are excited by discoveries still to be made in the cosmos.

18. We are skeptical of untested claims to knowledge, and we are open to novel ideas and seek new departures in our thinking.

19. We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others.

20. We believe in optimism rather than pessimism, hope rather than despair, learning in the place of dogma, truth instead of ignorance, joy rather than guilt or sin, tolerance in the place of fear, love instead of hatred, compassion over selfishness, beauty instead of ugliness, and reason rather than blind faith or irrationality.

21. We believe in the fullest realization of the best and noblest that we are capable of as human beings.

Do you need religion for any of these?

I understand what you're going through. You wish it were easier to be with the man you love.

Take care.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

No matter where you go, there is, and there will be, "bullshit".

You are free to do what ever you want.

Better to be alone than to compromise.

Judge Dread

• Confuzzled
    Confuzzled

DGP that sounds a lot of what I was raised to believe. But I know there is a God, I have been delivered from to much. I also believe in organized religion, one not being "The Truth" over another. I think it gives a good frame to work from. I'm also a (poor) practioner of LOA which a lot of people think is bullshit (I can totally understand why) but I've actually seen it work in my own life, and it's a job and a half to maintain. I don't discuss it because it does sound like bullshit, until you actually try it. I'm feeling better BTW, the day or so ago when I started this thread I was in a really "confuzzled" state of mind....But you make me feel a lot better....

As it has been repeated over and over again: Dealing with a practicing Jehovah's Witness is like dealing with a drug addict. Don't become their co-dependent.

SIDE NOTE: Thanks for the list, BTW, I have a cousin who says he is an Atheist, and he is one of the most bigotted people I have ever met. I'm going to send him that list and ask him if he's living by the tenants of his faith LOL. I know quite a few agnostics and atheists, but I've never met one like him. He's so bigotted he hates himself. He's a white, male, police officer in a major city. He had the nerve to call me a racist, how I could never understand the plight of minorities, middle class and white that I am, and that I worship a zombie on Christmas. The baby I'm expecting is half PR. He felt like an ass when I told him, he didn't know that. He didn't know what to say. I'll have to make him the subject of a thread one day.

• Terry
    Terry

Look! Everybody is entitled to REALITY.

The Kingdom Hall denies you that right.

What else are you willing to give up? Freedom to think? Freedom to speak your mind?

What will be left of you worth living inside of?

It isn't as though there are ONLY two choices: Kingdom Hall and sitting home alone.

There is a big, wide, wonderful world full of interesting and intelligent people out there.

WHY NOT HANG AROUND PEOPLE WHO WILL APPRECIATE WHO YOU ARE?

Instead of being something you aren't--find people who think you are wonderful just the way you are?

There are lots of groups that get together; pick a flavor and go!

Book clubs, chess clubs, toastmaster clubs, arts & crafts, biking, running, cooking.....thousands upon thousands of active, interested people.

GO GET EM and let's hear no more of this nonsense about dumbing down your life and become a stick of wood with a face painted on it!!

GET REAL and have a real life.

Real life isn't nearly as depressing as turning into a meat puppet propped up in a folding chair parroting canned comments at a Watchtower study.

• Michelle365
    Michelle365

Confuzzled- I understand relationships are complicated and I understand you have feelings for this man. I really feel for you. However, I was born a JW, lived it until I was 26 and am now sharing my children with my JW ex husband. IT SUCKS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to tell you to run away and do it quickly. It is not worth sacrificing your whole self for this man or this relationship. It may sound harsh but that is exactly what you will be doing. How long can you be happy like that? How many times have we seen friends changing things about themselves for lovers? How many times have we watched that trainwreck? Please, please start making a break. It's gonna be hard but you deserve someone that will love you for YOU.

• A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

Then I wonder out of pure curiosity, did anybody know of anybody as anti-JW as I developing Stockholm Syndrome?

Well, I can't claim to know you, but the answer is "yes, or something similar." One of the nicest and most lovable brothers in a congro I was in absolutely hated the JW religion for a time prior to having joined himself--it happens. Please don't risk your sanity this way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit