Livestock - 1st and 2nd Plague

by elder-schmelder 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

Did all of the livestock die in the 1st plague, or just some of them?

Exodus 9:6 (New Living Translation)

6 And the L ord did just as he had said. The next morning all the livestock of the Egyptians died, but the Israelites didn’t lose a single animal.

Exodus 9:6 (King James Version)

6And the LORD did that thing on the morrow, and all the cattle of Egypt died: but of the cattle of the children of Israel died not one.

Exodus 9:6 (English Standard Version)

6And the next day the LORD did this thing. (E) All the livestock of the Egyptians died, but not one of the livestock of the people of Israel died.

Exodus 9:6 (Contemporary English Version)

6It happened the next day--all of the animals belonging to the Egyptians died, but the Israelites did not lose even one.

Exodus 9:6 (New King James Version)

6 So the LORD did this thing on the next day, and all the livestock of Egypt died; but of the livestock of the children of Israel, not one died.

Exodus 9:6 (New Century Version)

6 The next day the Lord did as he promised. All the farm animals in Egypt died, but none of the animals belonging to Israelites died.

Exodus 9:6 (Darby Translation)

6And Jehovah did this thing on the following day, and all the cattle of Egypt died; but of the cattle of the children of Israel died not one.

Exodus 9:6 (New World Translation)

Why does this matter?

Exodus 9:20 (New International Version)

20 Those officials of Pharaoh who feared the word of the LORD hurried to bring their slaves and their livestockinside.

Exodus 9:20 (New Living Translation)

20 Some of Pharaoh’s officials were afraid because of what the L ord had said. They quickly brought their servants and livestockin from the fields.

How could Pharaoh's servants still have livestock left when they were all destroyed?

Why don't the New World Translation say that they were all destroyed?

elder-schmelder

• snowbird
    snowbird

After their livestock perished, the Egyptians could have easily appropriated that of the Israelites.

Could it have been the preserved livestock that once belonged to the Israelites that YHWH exhorted the Egyptians to get to a place of safety before He brought the great hailstorm?

As usual, I'm giving the Biblical narrative the benefit of the doubt.

Sylvia

• superpunk
    superpunk

Very interesting, thanks.

It's amazing the kind of gymnastical apologetics we'll go through to try and preserve our sacred cows. ;)

Maybe after God destroyed ALL the livestock the Egyptians used the technology they had acquired from their alien warlord masters to clone Israelite sheep.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

Sylvia, I have alot of respect for you, but I think that you are grasping at straws here.

Are you assuming that the bible is god word or have you let the bible speak for itself?

I have noticed that people who believe that the bible is god's word, are very quick to dismiss each contradiction with speculation or guessing.

I always hated this reasoning from the Watchtower:

Does

theBibleContradict

Itself?

A charge often made against the Bible is that it contradicts itself. Usually, people who make this charge have not personally read the Bible; they are merely repeating what they have heard.(What a complete load of crap) Some, though, have found what seem to be genuine contradictions and are troubled by them.

IF IT really is the Word of God, the Bible should be harmonious, not contradictory. (I agree with that) Why, then, do some passages seem to contradict others? To answer, we need to remember that, while the Bible is the Word of God, it was written down by a number of men over a period of several centuries. These writers had different backgrounds, writing styles, and gifts, and all these differences are reflected in the writing.

There are 100's of contradictions in the bible, just google them. Of course there are "answers" to each contradiction, BUT do the answers really answer?

elder-schmelder

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Sylvia, I have alot of respect for you

Thanks; reciprocated.

but I think that you are grasping at straws here.

Duly noted, but why give later instructions to Pharoah to have his people get their livestock to a place of safety when earlier He had devastated it???

Sylvia

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

what purpose did it serve to kill innocent animals, just to have the egyptians take some from the israelites stock

• DoubleVision
    DoubleVision

To me the whole purpose of the bible is to be taught by the most high. With all the contradictions I find myself completely distracted from the message. In other words God seems to be fumbling around trying to get his point across. I mean if you or I wrote a letter to a friend and It was full of contradictions how much credibility would I have?

DV

• snowbird
    snowbird

To show Pharoah who was the Boss?

After all, the animals and Pharoah were His to do as He saw fit.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

With all the contradictions I find myself completely distracted from the message.

Just focus on the Message - we are in need of a Savior; God is that Savior.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit