"Jehovah has really blessed me."

by stillin 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• stillin
    stillin

I was at dinner with witness friends last night when one of the guys started that up. I kept my mouth shut, let him have his say for a while; it's good to feel gratitude and I'm glad for him that he feels so blessed, but never, even in my most "spiritually healthy" days have I boasted like that. Finally, I spoke up with "How do you think that makes me, almost unemployed and struggling these days, feel? It sounds like a put-down to me. I must be doing something wrong.?"

He said that he didn't mean it like that but I can't think of any other meaning except "Good things come from Jehovah to the ones he loves. If things aren't good for you, He doesn't love you as much as he loves me."

I really don't need to hear this stuff. And I don't want to be the kind of person who gloats when something bad happens to somebody like that, either.

My life probably fits more into the category of "Consider it all joy when you meet with various trials..."

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Ummm... there are always two sides to things like this. It could also be Satan - giving him nice things (or whatever) - and could be a test as to his loyalty to the organization.

How does one KNOW it is from Geehovee?

Bring that up next time. Of course - they always feel that if it is 'good' it is from god - and bad - from de debil - but it is not always like that.

Regards,

Jim TX

• highdose
    highdose

Stillin: i've so totaly been where you are right now. Ok heres the real deal... God has not blessed this jerk, hes just got lucky, you are not a lesser person or even a bad person, your someone who is involved in a cult that thrives on making people feel not good enough.

My responce would have been to cite the example of someone in the world whose doing well and comment that Jehovah must be really blessing them(!)

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

"Good things come from Jehovah to the ones he loves. If things aren't good for you, He doesn't love you as much as he loves me." How is this different than any stupid televangelist on television? I call it "PROSPERITY GOSPEL". Martin Luther called it a "theology of glory," as opposed to the "theology of the Cross." Has this dude ever checked out the APostle Paul's life? It really sucked, from an earthly perspective.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Hi stillin, yes this in one of my pet peeves too. I can't stand it when someone makes ludicrous comments like this. And just like you, when I was still a whole-hearted believer, I didn't go for such unbalanced statements. I remember this one nutty pioneer sister saying Jehovah's spirit just isn't with me today, because she couldn't managae to thread a needle. And don't ask me why she was sewing during the meeting for field service. I have no clue. But, this other sister spoke up and said "Susan, don't be fanatical." I still have a good laugh about that to this day.

• crapola
    crapola

I have a friend that used to pray to be blessed when she went grocery shopping so she would buy the right food with the amount of money she had to spend. I thought that was crazy even back then. I mean really, don't we all have enough common sense to know what our family needs to eat? Really!!!!!

• ufo1
    ufo1

If one of us apsotates or a worldly person was to have great things happen in their life don't the JW say that it is Satan rewarding them?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

"Jehovah has blessed me"

This is another way that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag usurps credit. Usually, when Jehovah seems to bless someone, it is actually blind luck and/or the person's own hard work that bless them. How often do we pray for help only to be told that we have to figure it out for ourselves? Then, once we do, Jehovah has the audacity to take the credit! Yet He gets pxxxed if I blame Him when I do everything right, only to have negative outcomes.

• peaches
    peaches

sick,,,really sick thinking.....god blesses,,,,,then he doesn't.....then he does.....etc etc....it is nothing but chance in my opinion

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Yes that is very irritating. It is boasting, like that person is highly favored by God and you are not. I feel that if we credit God with every good thing that happens, it only makes sense that he should be blamed for all the horrible things. I mean when you look at all the atrocities in the world, esp with children being abused, killed, where was God to help out then? I believe good things result from a combo of working hard, and just the randomness of the universe/chance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit