feeling lousy

by poor places 27 Replies latest jw friends

• poor places
    poor places

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie here. Been watching the proceedings on this site for some time now. I never posted before because I never felt safe doing so, but here I am. And what can I say? My story, I suppose, is more or less like everyone else's story here: born in the religion, stayed well past the teen years for reasons that now seem foggy and difficult to explain, and am now feeling unable to leave because of family.

I guess the reason I'm posting is that I feel like I'm starting to lose it. My mind, that is. My anxiety is almost non-stop, and I've just about given up on the thought of fitting in anywhere, having more than two friends, or getting married. I'm usually not a selfish person and I don't even like talking about myself, but I guess I'm just looking for an outlet, some kind words. Kind, non-judgmental words. Where are those, ever? Take care, everybody.

• dgp
    dgp

Welcome, poor places. Stick around because it will help you. I'm a worldly, but I'm glad to be the one to welcome you here.

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

Finally I can post...weird, it was locked up. I sent you a PM Poor Places, click the envelope in the upper right hand corner. You may have to try it a few times, back out and try again, it will eventually work.

• asilentone
  • mindmelda
    mindmelda

You've been made to feel as though there is no rewarding life outside of Jehovah's Witnesses.You've been told to give up everything for the New System and you'd be rewarded now and in the future, but it sounds like that's not happening for you, so you think it's your fault.

If someone tells you that over and over again for years and years, you tend to believe it.

But, it's pretty common to suffer from some form of anxiety if you're unhappy with an ongoing situation that you feel there is no escape from. I dealt with it for years. It's become a lot more managable since I don't associate with Witnesses anymore. I used to have constant anxiety attacks, and with counseling and some short term medication, I'm much much better even though my life isn't perfect and never will be.

I was never DF'd, I just quit going to meetings and participating in field service, then quit reading literature, and finally associating with Witnesses exclusively, and then when I moved to another state for unrelated reasons, I was able to really put it behind me.

Talking about yourself is not selfish, it's normal behavior, especially when you're invited to talk about yourself. One thing people are allowed to do here is talk about themselves and how they feel without being hushed or shamed.

Many people here will tell you that they've never been happier since leaving Jehovah's Witnesses, in spite of what you may have heard or been told. Life is never easy, no one is pretending that it is, but realize that anxiety and depression of various kinds are pretty common among Witnesses, even the ones who think they're doing great at it.

I went to a KH where I'd guess 90% of the Witnesses claimed some sort of depressive/anxiety disorder or health problems directly related to stress.

I kept wondering when that "spiritual paradise" that was supposedly so refreshing was going to kick in?

• Gregor
    Gregor

Poor Places. From our avatars I suspect we may be related.

You are experiencing this unhappy place in your life because you have found yourself in a limbo between family & religion entanglements and your own individualty. All I can offer is - be true to yourself and be brave. Pick your time and sort it out.

Wish you the best.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Welcome, Hon.

Trust us on this, it gets better and easier. You're doing the right thing... vent a little. Keep reading, keep posting.

Love,
    Baba.

• peaches
    peaches

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((( poor places )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) totally understand......

• nugget
    nugget

What you feel is not uncommon. If you are brought into the organistion by a parent it is hard to break free as it is the world you are taught to accept. Use the board to express your anxieties there is a wealth of experience here. You have already increased your number of potential friends welcome.

• ana_dote
    ana_dote

"My anxiety is almost non-stop, and I've just about given up on the thought of fitting in anywhere, having more than two friends, or getting married."

I think you just climbed into my head and typed my experience......

Take heart, friend. It is a tremendously difficult struggle you are going through because of all the possible organizational ramifications of merely THINKING the way you do. But do not be afraid. Your thoughts are NORMAL because the organization is not normal. As was said, be true to YOU. Be brave. There's no "easy way out" of the organization, but trust me, you will find greater happiness in making decisions based on what YOU feel is right than on what THEY say is right.

Hang in there and stick around here! We'll be your friends!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit