who paid Jesus's ransom?

by marcopolo 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Snowbird: "It was He who gave the commandments, therefore, strictly speaking, He wasn't subjected to them."

Where do you get THAT from?

It was Moses who gave the law, who got them from Jethro, who got them from Hammurabi.

By subjecting himself to Moses law he would, in essence be bowing down and accepting Moses as a greater authority than himself.

• cskyjw.sun
    cskyjw.sun

jesus was ressurrected.jehhovah is the God of the living and not of the dead

• marcopolo
    marcopolo

Rom 3:24 say who Jesu pay Ransom... but . who.. himself or to whom??

• tec
    tec

Just out of curiosity, what commandment do you think Jesus break?

Tammy

• Heaven
    Heaven

Just out of curiosity, what commandment do you think Jesus break?

He didn't observe the Sabbath as a day of rest.

Exodus 20: 9-11 -- KJV:

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

• Heaven
    Heaven

It was He who gave the commandments, therefore, strictly speaking, He wasn't subjected to them.

I cannot understand why you would believe that they do not apply to God. To say one thing, and do the opposite is unethical and unprincipled.

Do as I say not as I do just doesn't work.

• tec
    tec

The jews misapplied that commandment. They had become so concerned with appearances of the 'law' that they no longer used common sense- or submitted to the greatest law of love - and so they condemned the innocent.

Matthew 12:11 - 12 (NIV) 'He said to them, "If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? How much more valuable is a man than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath."

Luke 13:15 - "You hypocrites! Doesn't each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or donkey from the stall and lead it out to give it water? Then should not this woman, a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free on the Sabbath day from what bound her?"

John 7:23-24 - "Now if a child can be circumcised on the Sabbath so that the law of Moses may not be broken, why are you angry with me for healing the whole man on the Sabbath? Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment."

Jesus never broke this command, and he did expect us to make a just decision - but we can only achieve understanding of these commands if we apply the greatest law of love, rather than mere rules of men.

Mark 2:27 - The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Best,

Tammy

• Heaven
    Heaven

Jesus never broke this command

I disagree. He didn't rest for the day as commanded therefore he broke it. Putting qualifiers on it doesn't change the fact that he got up, went out of his dwelling place to someone else's place, healed someone, and then left. This is not resting, it is healing.

Regarding the bogusness of such a commandment, that's a completely different issue.

• tec
    tec

The commandment was only bogus because bogus rules were applied to it by hypocritical people. Therefore, this was not the intended purpose of the commandment.

People certainly did not hole themselves up in their homes on the Sabbath, nor could they have stopped eating, drinking, caring for young children or the elderly or sick, or their animals on this one day.

I'm sure women still went into labor and so midwives still helped with birthing, physicians still helped with healing when people were hurt, and certainly rabbis and such still did their preaching work.

Tammy

• Heaven
    Heaven

The commandment states clearly that 'work shalt not be done'. It doesn't qualify what work can and cannot be done. It's a blanket statement so it covers everything.

Making these types of statements is dangerous.

The commandment is bogus because it's impossible to follow 100% of the time. It doesn't change the fact that Christ broke it.

The reasons for breaking it override any seriousness of the fact that he broke it. This is the illustration. It doesn't change the facts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit