Tea Partiers Say They Would Absolutely Abolish Social Security

by sammielee24 108 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

tea party fervor has infected the modern Republican Part
    y.

So long, GOP. Don't let the door slam you in the ass on your way out.

BTW, Thomas15, if you're going to be a candidate, it would help to learn to spell the word.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JWwoods,

I can understand somebody wanting to invest their money themselves because they cannot the trust the government with it, but it isn't happening now.

LHG

• Brocephus
    Brocephus
    Sounds like some of these Tea Partiers are young and haven't been paying into Social Security for the past 30 or 40 years like a lot of other people have. They would SURELY be singing a different tune if they were!

No long hair, we have been paying for the last 15 years and are now in our 30's and can read the writing on the wall. Glad you will get yours but why should we pay for another 30 or 40 years when it won't be there for us like it is for you now. There will not be enough workers to support me on Social Security, that is if there is still a republic. I rather keep my money and spend it on beer.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I'd abolish it too, just not for people that are dependent on it, or people that are close to retirement--these have already based a lot of their retirement planning on the benefit. I'd phase it out based on age on a sliding scale. Anyone under 40-45 is out of the system. I'd also do it with Medicare, in a similar way.

At the very LEAST, I'd support raising the age at which benefits are payable--in increments.

These days, we have people in retirement for decades being a common thing. This has never before existed in human history, and is an anomaly. If people begin to regularly live past 90 in reasonable health (and this WILL happen due to improving medical scienvce), they need to fend for themselves like the rest of us. TANSTAAFL.

BTS

• thomas15
    thomas15

BizzyBee,

I'm at work on break and in a hurry so I'm not being careful about my spelling, sorry.

Every single poll that is legit indicates that as of right now, the Republicans are going to sweep the fall elections in a fashon that will make 1994 look like nothing. Of course a lot can happen in the next 6 months but the democrats are the ones in fear right now. Of course you can pretend that this is not the case, not that I care mind you, but my gut tells me that the dems will get thrashed so completly that all we are going to hear from the dems is that the elections were rigged.

And why do I say this? Because those who actuall pay the bills are pissed off royally. Those who are out of work are totally pissed off. And those who have kids who will have to pay back the debt that the dems are giving us are completly pissed off.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Anyone under 40 is out of the system.

Practical, yes. But the under 40s would still have to pay for it for the people my age - and that would really be unpopular.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Brochepus,

Who knows if I will get mine? First, I have to make it to the proper age. Then, I have to hope that it is still there. Even though I don't envy anybody who has paid into the Social Security system for any amount of years, those who have paid into it for a very long time will be crying the loudest if it isn't there.

Even though some may say it is a ponzi scheme (and it certain operates that way), the whole purpose was to provide for people after they have retired (or been kicked out of the work force). But somebody along the way decided to dip into it. So, now it is Social Insecurity.

Can you imagine the social unrest if Social Security actually disappeared tomorrow? As I said in my earlier post, I will be going on welfare. If that isn't there - well, we are all screwed.

LHG

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth this November for the Dems. That awesome healthcare bill they passed. Well, look at the threads here. After the first few started by lefties celebrating it, all the other threads by them since have turned into attack threads on the other side. This thread is a good example. There is nothing to celebrate other than a political victory. The more we learn about the bill, the less people like it.

BTS

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Amazing... Tea Baggers can't see past the nose on their face.

Very short sighted. Lacking in retrospection.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

That's very insightful Elsewhere. I feel like I can come away from this thread with something valuable.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit