Best way to get Netflix on my tv?

by AK - Jeff 19 Replies latest social entertainment

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I know about Roku, but currently don't think it any better than the laptop I have connected to my television to stream Netflix.

I have considered a media-pc with remote or perhaps a remote keyboard and mouse. I like the idea of the tv subbing as an extra pc on occasion - plus I would like to be able to stream other programs besides just Netflix [like Fancast or National Geo or History or some news clips].

Any suggestions beyond or in addition?

Thank you in advance. I will be headed to bed soon but I will take a good look at your comments in the early morning. Thanx again.

Jeff

• zoiks
    zoiks

A Netflix- enabled Blu-Ray player, of course.

• moshe
    moshe

A Sony TV! Mine connects to Netflix so easily by the tv remote- I know you have a TV, but this is a good excuse to get another toy.

Click home, click video, downscroll to the Netflix icon (one of 27 internet video options) , click OK, which brings up a screen with all your movies in the queue. If you are lucky, your movie pick is in HD, too. I have last years KDL-40W5100 model -2009- which might be discounted now.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I love my Roku box.

Wal-Mart sells a Samsung Blu-ray player with Netflix capability for less than $130.

• donuthole
    donuthole

xBox and PS3 both do Netflix streaming. PS3 also is a Blu-Ray player.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

samsung bd-1600 for me.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

For me, there are four things that I use my Roku box for:

Netflix Streaming -- Via the Roku remote, I can flip through and decide what to watch. I use the InstantWatcher app on my iPod Touch to manage my Netflix queue from the sofa.

Revision3 Channel -- There are some good comedy and current events programs on this channel. ROFL and DiggNation are the ones that I watch.

MLB -- You can get live baseball games in HD via subscription. Blackouts apply, but my team is far away.

Amazon On-Demand -- You can search for, purchase and stream content from the remote. Current films in HD are about $3.99 to rent. Excellent quality. There are a variety of free offerings, too. Mostly series premeires and behind-the-scenes/promos.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thanx so much for your imput. I just came off a 14 hour shift, so I will take a better look later.

Funny, I used to be able to do 13/14 hour shifts standing on my head. Now, they stand me on my head.

Jeff

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I thought Netflix sold a box-thing for streaming. Also, I heard --was it the X-Box?-- or some other console device was going to enable netflix streaming. I currently do it with a laptop, which can be cumboersome with all the wires and programs and so forth.

On a related note... if you have back-ups of your personal DVD collection on an external HD, you can get a 100-dollar device by Viewsonic that hooks up to it and plays them directly to your HDTV in 1080p. I just got one and it is defintely the best money ive ever spent on TV-related devices. Absolutely awesome. This thing: http://www.cdrlabs.com/News/viewsonic-introduces-vmp70-direct-connect-hd-media-player.html

• moshe
    moshe

OK, a set top box gets you Netflix-- back to my Sony TV- here is the list of my Internet streaming video options.

Michael Jackson- 12 mtv type music videos,Amazon video on demand, Netflix, YouTube, Yahoo( mixed bag of movie trailers, sports clips and current news stories), blip TV( several hundred videos of many genres), Crackle videos, fear.net , wired ( tech video), Epicurious,com, Concierge.com, Style.com, Sony concert series, Myplay music network, Inside sony pictures, Ford models, dailymotion, Howcast.com (how to videos), On networks,Golflink.com, livestrong.com, ehow.com, Video detective ( best for movie trailers-I love the HD ones), singing fool, podcasts, videocasts( about 4000 videos, CBS - awesome selection, Csi,mentalist, survivor, 2 1/2 men, coldcase- and a lot of 2-3 minute type clips here

Yahoo widgets- news, weather, finance, NPR radio, slacker music network

When cable TV lets me down, I can always find something on my Sony TV to watch. And- Sony is adding more content all the time, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit