Toyota Stuck Accelerator

by PEC 24 Replies latest jw friends

• JWoods
    JWoods
    The ignition is computer controlled.

Correct. The control system can shut off the engine when you are stopped at a light, let you start off on battery, and restart it when it thinks it is needed.

I believe that while it was not a hybrid, the other (non-Prius) cars may have also had electronic ignitions like this, and perhaps electronic gearbox control as well.

• Prefect
    Prefect

I love my 2004 Toyota Prius.

92.000 trouble free miles.

Great car

• JWoods
    JWoods

Glad you have had good luck with it, Prefect.

Time will tell if there is an engineering issue here, or if this is some kind of public reaction.

• undercover
    undercover

Think I'll keep my old mechanical car...

-oh no....now I'm starting to sound like my grandparents, [insert old fogey voice] "I don't get these new-fangled auto-mo-biles. Too many buttons and knobs. Why do I need a computer on my car? I'm just going to the pharmacy to get mah pills..."

• dinah
    dinah

Just longing for the old days when you had "four on the floor"

They didn't hang up. It was a bitch starting off on a steep hill.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Just longing for the old days when you had "four on the floor"

You reminded me that I had a 1974 Corvette L-82 4speed that would stick the throttle full on every once in a while. It was a floor mat issue just like they first reported on the Toyota.

Of course, it had a conventional ignition switch that would put things back under control if this happened. Then you could just pull the mat off of it and get back to normal.

The JWs did not like this car, nor any of my others, I am glad to say.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

If you own a Toyota are you looking to get rid of it? What do you think will happen to the resale price of Toyota's? What kind of car do you think you would buy next? (realistically)?

Outaservice

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

All of these new "drive by wire" cars need to have an emergency shutoff lever. This should be a mechanical linkage which, when pulled, will remove a critical connection resulting in the car powering down.

It could be one of several things:

• Interrupt power to the fuel pump
    • Interrupt power to the ignition system
    • Disconnect battery (for 100% battery powered cars)
  • undercover
    undercover
    All cars need to have an emergency shutoff lever. This should be a mechanical device, which when engaged by outside forces, will remove the critical connection between idiocy behind the wheel and the drivetrain, resulting in the car powering down and not allowing the idiot controller from re-engaging it.

Fixed that for ya...

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit