Childhood Baptism

by torn in two son 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• torn in two son
    torn in two son

OnTheWayOut, slow burn by a slow fade. I've got too much family in the Organization to just rip the band-aid off and say, "I'VE HAD ENOUGH - I'M LEAVING!" Maybe one day, when fake service time becomes no service time and flaky meeting attendance becomes none at all, they'll make the announcement. Really though, when they make those announcements, there's this hush of silence for a moment, a couple whispers, a bit more of silence and the meeting goes on. A few months of talking about it (if you were popular) and then most people have forgotten you by then. Most friends in the JW circle I don't really care about losing (he was part of a small group of exceptions), it's just the family I don't want to lose. I'd like to be able to play the little loophole of "not baptized and left? well...he's not disfellowshipped!"

Torn

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I'm one of the few lucky ones, TITS.

Baptism is a really bad idea if you any doubts, and I had some.

Non-baptism has saved me from heap of trouble with my family. I have not been identified as a flag waving Apostate and I have some leeway with my family. That leeway has mostly disappeared due to my outspoken opinion of the WT nowadays, but at least I am not shunned by all and sundry and I can still get the occasional shot of doubt in where it counts. It is a fine line to tread. I have made a lot of mistakes. Most of the advice I give on forums is from my mistakes. I just hate it when a newbie comes on board and tells us that they have just made all of the mistakes that we did when we realised that the WT was full of doo doo, and have just lost their friends and family.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

So in other words, unless you are wanting to climb the 'corporate ladder of success' you really don't need to bother with baptism?...

Snoozy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Okay, thanks for the answer.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Does religion honestly think baptisism will save your soul?

Snoozy, they sure do! It's part of "God's Inspired" multi-step program to eternal life.

Your question was one of the niggling thoughts in my head that made me question the Bible. I knew there would be people born on this Earth who would live their entire lives without ever hearing about Christ or reading the Holy Bible. So these people are going to suffer the wrath of God because they weren't ever baptized? That just doesn't make sense.

It's exactly the same thing the JWs tried to do to me when they told me I wouldn't have eternal life if I didn't peddle their magazines. My BS detector was set off loud and clear on both these accounts.

Trying to intimidate me with fear does not net them the results these groups have set out to obtain. It makes me want to run in the opposite direction from them the first opportunity I get.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit