Indiana "Religious Freedom" (right to discriminate)

by Simon 274 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

Sickening to see the photo of the religious zealots all stood around the governor signing into law the right for people to discriminate against others (gay, lesbian, trans-gender) based purely on religious dogma.

If religious people want those freedoms then the can't have it both ways - they cannot complain if *they* are discriminated against.

"Sorry, we don't like Zionists, get out". "Oh, it's some special mass and you can't work your shift? You're fired!".

It seems that allowing any discrimination means you need to allow all. If that isn't what people want or would like then they need to get over their judgmental attitude.

The irony is that the people who pushed so much for this profess to follow the founder who preached precisely against it. Funny how claimed followers of Christ are typically the most un-Christian people.

I think everyone should boycott Indiana.

• DJS
    DJS

Simon,

It made me want to hurl. This is a political move by a dumbass (can I use that for this guy, p-p-p--pleeeeze Simon?) hoping to maneuver his GOP future for national elections.

I hope he chokes on it. The reverberations have just begun. This idiot hopefully will get exactly what he deserves.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
  • Simon
    Simon

Just one more reason that the religious should never be allowed anywhere near the political / law making process - they will always try to pervert the rules to suit their own warped view of the world.

Just look at their smiling bigoted faces after they got their way to be able to hurt others. They make me sick.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

One word the people of the United States don't seem to understand is ''boycott.''

Boycott any business that discriminates people of color,gender and nationality. Do not purchase any product or services from any of these businesses. Do not donate or volunteer for any of these churches or businesses.

The irony is that the people who pushed so much for this profess to follow the founder who preached precisely against it. Funny how claimed followers of Christ are typically the most un-Christian people.

The Jehovah's Witnesses fought so hard for religious freedom.They fought for the right to preach by knocking on everyone's door. They fought for the right to not salute the flag and say the pledge of allegiance.

The Watchtower fought for their religious rights but forgot to give each person the right to quit the church without being disfellowshipped.

• DJS
    DJS

The religious freedom law says the government cannot intrude on a person's religious liberty unless it can prove a compelling interest in imposing that burden and do so in the least restrictive way. This law simply was not necessary. The US Constitution already does that admirably. The state law can trump local non-discrimination laws, and sooner or later - likely sooner - some florist shop or for profit wedding chapel will refuse service to gays and lesbians for religious reasons.

There will almost certainly be a state legal case to determine if the action is covered under the new law. Then there will be an appeal, regardless of the ruling - either from the religious or those they discriminated against - to the SCOTUS if necessary, which is where the state law will almost certainly be ruled unconstitutional. Legal eagles amongst us, please weigh in with your insight.

As I stated, this is a political move by a right wing fundie GOP politician trying to set himself up for a national office run in the near future. This stuff disgusts me. Lawyers in love.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

@ Simon,

"Just one more reason that the religious should never be allowed anywhere near the political / law making process - they will always try to pervert the rules to suit their own warped view of the world."

Of this General Assembly, the treasurer, attorney general, register, ministers of the gospel, officers of the regular armies of this State, or of the United States, persons receiving salaries or emoluments from any power foreign to our confederacy, those who are not resident in the county for which they are chosen delegates, or districts for which they are chosen senators, those who are not qualified as electors, persons who shall have committed treason, felony, or such other crime as would subject them to infamous punishment, or shall have been convicted by due course of law of bribery or corruption, in endeavoring to procure an election to the said assembly, shall be incapable of being members. All others, not herein elsewhere excluded, who may elect, shall be capable of being elected thereto.”

Thomas Jefferson - Proposed Constitution for Virginia. From The Online Library of Liberty: The Jeffersonian Cyclopedia, page 493, #4604.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

"If I could conceive that the general government might ever be so

administered as to render the liberty of conscience in secure, I beg

you will be persuaded, that no one would be more zealous than myself.

To establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny

and every species of religious persecution. George Washington 1789.

• gone for good
    gone for good
    Oganized ignorance
  • stealyourface
    stealyourface

The misguided outrage over Indiana's RFRA is out of hand. Read the law and understand the history; reacting to the headlines is irresponsible and ignorant. RFRA is a current federal law introduced by Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and it passage in the Senate was virtually unanimous (only three nay votes) in 1993. President Clinton signed it into law.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/indianas-religious-freedom-restoration-act-explained_900641.html?nopager=1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit