To all you non-believers... PROOF of the great flood of the bible.

by whereami 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

thanks for the laugh jaguarbass

• poppers
    poppers

Maybe Poppers can do the math?

Sorry wildflower, I'm busy correcting papers.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

im changing my mind. God is a Fun guy to hang with. He likes the same topics I look for in movies :-)

• bohm
    bohm

AWF: Its not that bad from THAT point of view. If each man/woman had 10 surviving children per generation (hey, if they got 300 years old they could easily do that kind of shit!) it would only take 10 generations to go to 10 billion people. I am mentioning this because some asshat creationist will show you a graph where a jury-rigged exponential population growth will 'proove' there were only a handfull of people alive in Noahs days.

But there are plenty of other huge problems - a population of less than 1000 individuals typically need special breeding programs to survive, for starters. Talkorigins has an excelent introduction to the subject.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

That was a freaking hilarious video!

bohm....That is not workable however in real life because of a nasty little thing called infant/childhood mortality, which required pre-modern societies to have a disproportionately large number of births to maintain population growth. According to the Population Reference Bureau, 1 in every 10 children born in the United States in 1900 died before their first birthday. Today, the mortality rate is 7 out of every 1,000 births in the U.S. In pre-modern societies (and even today in a few places in the third world), the infant mortality rate was 1 out of 5, and in the very early days of the human race, the rate is thought to have been as high as 1 out of every 2 births. Because of childhood and infant mortality, the average life expectancy at birth was a brief 22 years during the Roman Empire, and by the Middle Ages it had risen only to 33 years in England, and even in the middle of the 19th century, it was only at 43 years — as opposed to the current 75 years in the developed world in the modern age of medicine. So the growth rate and the birth rate are two rather different things.

If we apply the estimated growth rate as it was for the human race in the third millennium BC, there would be only a population of 60 people about 200 years after the Flood and 116 people in Abraham's day, from an initial population of 3 couples having children after 2370 BC. In order to squueze out a population of even 200,00 people in 1990 BC, we would need a growth rate that is 1,718 times (!) that of normal for the period (an average annual 0.0512, according to the PRB). And so if you do the math to figure out what the actual birth rate had to be to give these results, it would be so outrageously ridiculous that it would make rats jealous for its productivity.

• awildflower
    awildflower

Bohm, thanks for having my back!

Leolaia, great info!!

• awildflower
    awildflower

And Poppers I'm going to have to see an 'excuse note' for that

• poppers
    poppers

And Poppers I'm going to have to see an 'excuse note' for that

I had one but the dog ate it.

• awildflower