Don't ask questions

by linp24 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• linp24
    linp24

Several weeks ago, a Witness poster said that the rank and file at his cong were told by elders not to ask questions. I may have misunderstood what the poster was saying. Has anyone on the forum heard anything like this? The poster was not very specific. Is it not ok to ask questions in the kingdom halls during meetings?

(not-a-dub)

• dig692
    dig692

In all the time I have attended meetings (the last 10 years or so) I have only ever experienced once instance where a sister asked the brother conducting the book study a question. Apparently she felt she had misunderstood one of the topics so she wanted to get it cleared up. Well the conductor looked at her like she had just committed the grossest sin possible! He looked at her and said "well sister _____, that wll be your homework assignment for this week, to look up your question using the WT library and report back to us your findings"

Wow I just about died of embarrassment for her. Poor lady. Never before or after that incident do I remember anyone else asking a question. My thoughts are it's probaby because the conductor doesn't want to be caught in a situation where he doesn't know the answer to the question. If you have questions, ask them on your own time, not on the WT's time!

• shamus100
    shamus100

You are only supposed to regurgitate the answer that is in the paragraph, nothing more. If you have any questions, you should approach an elder in private (like they dont' have enough shit to do already)

Basically, nobody asks questions. And I mean basically nobody.

• linp24
    linp24

Dig and Shamus. thank you.

• moshe
    moshe

Maybe, the elders want all questions to be submitted in writing and in advance, too! Only approved questions will get answered.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Is it not ok to ask questions in the kingdom halls during meetings?

That's right. No questions, no discussions, no thinking.

And, if you ask too many questions after the meetings, they'll tell you to stop ... or else.

I asked too many questions and ... now I'm no longer a dub.

Thank goodness.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

If a publisher consistently asks questions during a meeting, then an elder would talk to them, and I have seen a conductor ask if he could answer the question after the meeting.

As alluded to, don't break the structure, its all about the structure.

• pixiesticks
    pixiesticks

*nods* Meetings and even bookstudies are not for asking questions or debating. A paragraph in the study article is read out, the conductor then asks the questions contained in the study article at the bottom of the page and the Witnesses have to answer the question using the paragraph that has been read out. Answers that deviate from the answer that the conductor is looking for are considered wrong and the conductor will ask the question again until a member gives the desired answer. It's a lot like a maths lesson in an Infants school.

Questioning is not allowed. I remember one time, a Witness made a point of correcting the conductor on a point during the actual study and he was reprimanded afterwards. Questions are to be reserved for after the meetings and/or studies and in private.

• designs
    designs

Just remember the answers are in the paragraphs, read the answer verbatum and you'll be fine

• nugget
    nugget

At our book study people did often ask for clarification of a point and it was answered. We also did occasionally go off topic. But in general the meetings are for answering the questions posed not for requesting information. In fact they timing and structure means that there is no time to elaborate on points or use things in answers that are not in the paragraph. They have done the same with assembly talks by making them shorter there are no fancy introductions or illustrations just a barrage of scripture and misapplication.

The classic example of this is after the oral review the brother always asks if anyone wants any of the answers clarified, on the few occasions where someone has asked for clarification on a question the brother merely reads direct from the preprepared answer given by the WTBTS.

If you ask elders a question they refer you back to the WT publications. If you are a persistent questioner then you get councel.

Also no one does it at the kingdom hall so new ones don't want to look stupid so they don't do it either. There is no culture of questioning within the organisation. In fairness I don't think many people stand up during church services and ask the vicar questions there either. The only place where a new person can ask questions is at their Bible study. At that time they are being fed the bland public face of the WTBTS so questions can be dodged fairly easily with general platitudes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit