No fortune in my fortune cookie: Should I be worried?

by dissed 21 Replies latest jw friends

• dissed
    dissed

After a great Chinese dinner last night, we received our traditional fortune cookie for desert.

For those of you that have never had Chinese food, its a cute little cookie, with a small typed message inside promoting good fortune. How they get the message 'in' the cookie is a wonder in itself. On the back side of the message are your lucky numbers. Hint: Don't trust them in lottery stuff, they never work.

As a JW, I don't think we were allowed to read these. Were we? I think it was viewed like your horoscope in the newspaper. Reading it would be like consulting with the demons. But like with most JW thingys. All read it, all enjoyed it, but all never told anyone they did it.

My wife read hers, and laughed. "Its so true, so true!"Winning is in your future. (Especially since leaving the JW, how could we lose?)

Then she looked at me and wanted to know my good fortune. I replied reluctantly, "I have none" I broke open the damn cookie and it was empty. I felt cheated.

She laughed and said, "That's impossible!" Then the look on her face changed to a more ominous one. "Oh, that's never happened before" I agreed.

A suddenly happy Chinese fortune cookie moment, started sweet, then turned sour.

What does it mean when you have no fortune inside the cookie? I have been pondering this thinking maybe this could be bad, real bad.

But I've decided to face my fate head on and ask, "Am I in trouble? Should I be worried when receiving no fortune? Are there fortune cookie experts on the forum who can explain my apparent lack of destiny?"

Signed,

dissed - worried he has no future

• teel
    teel

It could mean your future is not set, it's in your hand to shape as you wish.

• dissed
    dissed

He that worries excessively, will be excessively worried

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I got an empty fortune cookie. The next time, I decided to try an almond cookie instead of the fortune cookie. Guess what? They are really tasty. Soooo much better than the fortune cookie. Many of those restaurants give you a choice of fortune or almond. Go for the almond cookie, you will like it much better.

btw....I have also gotton a fortune cookie with 2 fortunes in it.

• poppers
    poppers

What does it mean when you have no fortune inside the cookie?

It means no more need to look to the future or get lost in the past. In the moment the cookie was opened and no fortune was there all time stopped - that's when enlightenment flowers. As soon as you worried or got concerned about it you got trapped in time again and "lost" enlightenment. Stay in the moment, enjoy the food, open the empty cookie, and leave it at that - voila! Enlightenment!

• teel
    teel

Cameo, for a second I thought you mysteriously found the fortune in the almond cookie

• dissed
    dissed

Fortune cookie experience.....

We were having dinner with a single JW bro, desperate to get married. (like most JW Bro's)

While he excused himself to the restroom, the fortune cookies came. His had the paper sticking out a little, so we pulled it out, wrote the name of the waitress on it, a phony tel. #, and put it back in. We couldn't wait for his reaction upon seeing it.

When he read it, he didn't say WTH, but he looked over to the waitress and never said a thing to us about the mysterious message in his cookie.

I guess he had secret plans for him and this waitress that never would be materialized.

• Think About It
    Think About It

Fortune cookie experience.....

We were having dinner with a single JW bro, desperate to get married. (like most JW Bro's)

While he excused himself to the restroom, the fortune cookies came. His had the paper sticking out a little, so we pulled it out, wrote the name of the waitress on it, a phony tel. #, and put it back in. We couldn't wait for his reaction upon seeing it.

When he read it, he didn't say WTH, but he looked over to the waitress and never said a thing to us about the mysterious message in his cookie.

I guess he had secret plans for him and this waitress that never would be materialized.

Great prank!

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

To me it means "Man who fall asleep on job, lose income!"

• JWoods
    JWoods

I think it means you should not join the Presbyterian Church, as you have no pre-destination.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit