Have JW's got the Memorial date wrong?

by wobble 31 Replies latest jw friends

• donuthole
    donuthole

@Joseph

Please excuse me but I'm still a bit confused on this. Why is the Friday considered a Sabbath? I thought Jews observed Saturday as Sabbath?

Edit: Nevermind, I see that the seventh day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread is a Sabbath per Leviticus 23:7,8

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The JW's got a lot wrong in rgeards to the last supper, the got it wrong that Judas did NOT parake, he DID.

So yeah, they probably got the date wrong too !

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

donuthole,

Right and this was not something limited to Passover. The same could happen at other 7 day festivals as well during the year. When the first day of a 7 day festival could fall on any day of the week (as it is a variable) but just happens to be coincident with a weekly Sabbath or Saturday then the 7th day must of necessity fall on Friday making a great Sabbath at its end. Other combinations are also possible so we have to try them all and see which one fits the texts. This worked while the others did not. Even going back to the week before Passover and the trip our Lord made to it fit these facts. I tried to be careful with all this as it was so incredible and even seemingly impossible but it all fit. While all this was done over 30 years ago still no one seems to get it and I get criticized for it. All I can do is make it known and let the chips fall where they may. Study, you have no idea what still lies hidden in the texts.

Joseph

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Hey Joeseph,

Can you give us a cliff note version of your chronology?

• donuthole
    donuthole

@JosephMalik

Interesting subject to look at for certain. Your thesis rests on the assumption that Scriptural references to "the Passover", during the time between Jesus' arrest and execution, should be understood, not in reference to time when the Passover (sacrificed lamb) was prepared/eaten, but rather the entire "Festival of Unleavened Bread" which was a week long festival. Is there a basis for this?

As I understand "the Passover" refers to the sacrificial lamb that was prepared and eaten during Nisan 14/15. So why, according to your timeline, is Scripture still speaking of the Passover on Nisan 18, 19, etc.?

Added: Specifically look at John 18:28, where is says they wanted to keep clean so that they could "eat the Passover". Since "the Passover" is specifically the sacrificed lamb - what do you propose they were concerned about eating?

One More Addition: Take a look at Exodus 12:21 where the Jews were intructed to "slaughter the Passover". They were not killing a holiday or a festival but a lamb. I know in modern times Passover refers to a Holiday but in the Bible it is in reference to the sacrificial lamb. Compare to how Paul refers to Jesus as "our Passover" at 1 Cor 5:7.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

PSacramento,

Well there is information all over the place here on JWD. And some have run with it but changed time like the WT does, since the did not seem to understand introductory remarks like having the meal on the 14th (but in the evening when the date changed to the 15th). Moses set the standard for how such things should be stated and they confuse me at times. Not easy to see at first but we should not make up things that change dates or days instead. Learning how to read a Jewish Calendar made if more visible to me. The two links provided here should be enough and I really expect everyone to do their own work and perhaps simply check their work against it so that what they teach does not come from me. You should be able to do better.

Joseph

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Gottcha Joseph.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Passover (sacrificed lamb) was prepared/eaten,

donuthole,

Of course, the lamb was never eaten on the 14th. It was the sacrifice always eaten on the 15th the 1st day of Unleavened bread. Our Lord ate this same sacrifice that represented Him before He died as a matter of this Law. The same goes for the Unleavened bread itself and eating it on the 14th would be against the Law. Eating it at anytime during the festival in an unclean condition would also be against the Law. It was a sacred ingredient of the feast that was named after it. Of course the name changed from Unfermented bread to Passover later in OT texts and was called both ways in NT texts. The scriptures were getting us ready for its fulfillment. We can also say that the third cup of the four cups of wine consumed during the meal or the cup of blessing which Paul identified in 1 Cor would be considered holy as well. Now the feast itself represented what? The time of our Lords passion. That was the greater time and purpose of it. Make sense? Why else would our Lord say: John 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. 54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. 56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. Jesus knew what it meant and we should as well.

Joseph

• donuthole
    donuthole

@JosephMalik

As I understand it the Passover (sacrificial lamb) was prepared on the 14th and eaten that evening on the 15th, which was also the first day of Festival of the Unleavened Bread. I think we are in agreement on that.

You said - "Of course the name changed from Unfermented bread to Passover later in OT texts and was called both ways in NT texts."

Could you cite specific examples of this?

Reviewing those scriptures in John it seems to be referring to the lamb. When it says the religious leaders wanted to be clean to "eat the Passover', I don't see how it could mean anything other than eating the lamb. Remember the lamb had to be eaten in its entirety that evening. It was only eaten during one evening, probably the 15th, not during the entire seven days of the festival.

• highdose
    highdose

wobble: i'm curious about your theory that Jesus never wanted his death remembered year on year, can you expand on this please?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit