Newbie here, need some input

by FollowerOfSet 37 Replies latest jw friends

• FollowerOfSet
    FollowerOfSet

Hi. I wanted to introduce myself, and need some advice.

I dissassociated myself back in 1995. Haven't had much of anything to do with my family since then. They are all witnesses, and very dedicated to their beliefs. So after 15 years without a simple howdy from them, now they are coming around again and being very nice, but it reminds me of when people would have parts in the ministry school...it seems rehearsed and fake. Am I wrong to not be trusting? Is it possible that they just don't know how to approach me after all this time? Or should I be worried?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I have no insight as to what may be motivating your family but Welcome to JWN!

Nice to have you join us and even nicer that you posted an intro.

-Aude Sapere (meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Have Wisdom/Understanding)

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome!

It sound encouraging, to me. Forget the past and embrace your family.

• dissed
    dissed

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the worlds most popular site for people wanting to know stuff.

It sounds like its too early to know their full intentions. At this point be glad they are trying to do something and enjoy getting to know them again after 15 years.

Keep us informed.

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

No one but them know their intentions, try to get to know them and see where it goes. You know it may be an effort to re indoctrinate you.

Welcome to the board.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Welcome to the forum.

They are cult members and they are dysfunctional. You might have to be patient with them and ignor any attempts at using psychological warfare to guilt you back into their cult.

Cheers

Chris

• ziddina
    ziddina

Welcome to JWN!

• FollowerOfSet
    FollowerOfSet

Thanks for the welcomes. :)

I guess maybe I am being paranoid...I grew up a jw, and it took me a long time to get out of the mindset of everyone is out to get you. I guess a little of that still lingers.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think your "spidey sense" is tingling for a reason.

They want something from you, and they figure they have to soften you up first. Maybe a rich old aunt left you a fortune and they want you to donate it to the worldwide pedophile protection program. Maybe they need to have the only member of the family with a real job - you - co-sign on some important purchase so they can stick you with the payments in 6 months.

You should be polite to them; you can even be friendly with them. but whenever they ask you for something, re-read this message and tell them that you're a little bit over-etended right now and can't do it. Then you'll see how sincere they are. If it turns out that you decide they really ARE sincere, you can always get back to them after a day or two and say, "Y'know, I've been thinking about it, and I really want to help you out..."

Keep the ball in YOUR court and don't be too surprised if it turns out they are a phoney as you suspect they are.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I would give them the benefit of the doubt and gradually let them back into my life-- but would not let them push me around.

Welcome to the forum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit