The United States government gets more and more ignorant

by HappyGuy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

Well, I always knew that Hillary Clinton was some kind of retard but her latest comments about Haiti make me think that she smokes crack as well.

She says that Hait must take the lead in the reconstruction of their country. "RE"-construction? They have trouble doing construction in the first place. Here is what she said:

"The government of Haiti must and will be in the lead," U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said. "We cannot any longer in the 21st century be making decisions for people and their futures without listening, and without giving them the opportunity to be as involved and make as many decisions as possible."

This is like the firefighters asking the homeowner who is trapped in the blazing building for advice on how to put the fire out and rescue the dying family members. Unbelievable.

No way can the government of Haiti deal with this catastrophe. They don't have the money, the equipment, the skilled people, or the know how. The government of Haiti is extremely corrupt. Anything that is not nailed down will be stolen. They are also extremely incompetent. They also have no resources.

What is wrong with these pepole (in the United States government?).

Haiti needs massive assistance. They need EVERYTHING. Tents, blankets, clothes, clean water, food, medicine, fuel, construction materials, skilled workers, doctors, nurses, the list goes on and on. They need this assistance now, today, with no strings attached.

They dont' need any more speeches or press conferences or meetings. They need practical help and lots of it.

Hillary Clinton is either an idiot or is so far out of touch with reality as to need medication or perhaps to be institutionalized. This is one of the most preposterous statements I have ever read.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Happy Guy,

I didn't hear her comments. I do agree with you that Haiti desperately needs everything you can think of and if they have no infrastructure, how can they rebuild anything? However, you should read a news article I read on the internet today. It raises an issue that I knew would be raised sooner or later. The article deals with the fact that their government is so corrupt that all this money that is being raised for the poor Haitians may never even reach most of their people.

It mentions that the government in Haiti is one of the most corrupt in existence. With this being the case, just how much can other countries with the best of intentions accomplish? I am sure they can try to help erect tent cities but can they impose any kind of LASTING progress? Are they just supposed to go in and presume to take over? That would be going backwards to colonialism.

At some point, their government MUST step up.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

I have an idea. Make Haiti the 51st state. Merge with the US.

Bangalore

• JeffT
    JeffT

We have to walk a fine line here. No, the government of Haiti is incompetent to manage its own affairs, and certainly they can't rebuild the country.

But the US can not be seen as establishing some sort of colony there. We need to put together some sort of international consortium to manage the country for ten years or so while it is getting put back together.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

LongHairGal,

yes, I mentioned in my post that the government of Haiti is so corrupt that anything that is not nailed down is stolen.

The way to solve that problem is do not give anything directly to the government, give it directly to the people. The United States should be taking the lead in setting up a reconstruction program where things that the people need are given directly to the people. This will have to be done at gun point because the Haitian military, the police and armed thugs will try to forcibly steal it.

I disagree that providing assistance in this way is colonialism. If your house was on fire and thugs were demanding payment from the fire department in order to park the fire trucks on the street, and other thugs were demanding payment for the hook up to the fire hydrant, and the police came to chase the thugs away would you think that this was trampling on your rights? No, you would not.

We have a moral obligation to help these people, and if helping them means that we forcilby circumvene the "government" of Haiti then that is what we have to do.

During Katrina the US military basically took control of New Orleans. Was this a trampling of the rights of the people of New Orleans? No, it was not. it was necessary because the government of New Orleans collapsed and the police proved to be corrupt and armed gangs were taking over the city.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy
    But the US can not be seen as establishing some sort of colony there.

How in the world is providing aid and the organizational structure and infrastructure needed to distribute the aid "establishing some sort of colony".

No, we do not need to walk a fine line. We need to admit to the reality of the situation, that the Haitian government is totally corrrupt and incompetent and organizational structures and infrastructure have to be provided as part of providing aid and this needs to be done immediately and we can sort out the governance problem later.

Compassion has to trump political correctness.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

My conspiracy friend tells me that the earthquake was caused by an American nuke. 20,000 Americans troops are now in Haiti. The final goal? Steal the oil and precious metals from Haiti.

I can't even make this stuff up!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Diplomacy:

1 : the art and practice of conducting negotiations between nations
    2 : skill in handling affairs without arousing hostility : tact

Somehow, I don't think "retard" would cut it.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Happy Guy,

Your comparing Haiti to New Orleans is not the same because, of course, Louisiana is a state - not another country.

Sorry, Happy Guy, I feel your frustration and I am sorry you are angry, but I agree with the poster JeffT and his sensible comments.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think the people should dismantle their government if it is that corrupt. They could set up another government, but the first priority would be to remove the expensive money hole and use the money to rebuild the infrastructure. They could then unleash those who have valuable ideas to create value in the country, in the form of better infrastructure. The government would be gone (and replaced with one that only protects against initiatory force and fraud), and the people that wish to create value would be the ones organizing a rebuilding drive. Bonus: It would get done much better than with government assistance, it would allow them to use their next earthquake to generate free electricity, and they would be allowed to create beneficial products that would help other countries to export. Let that happen, and their economy could soon get so strong that people in the United Dictatorship of America would migrate to Haiti for opportunity, not the other way around.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit