to be controlled or not to be controlled that is the question!

by semelcred 12 Replies latest jw friends

• semelcred
    semelcred

After years in a high-control group i cannot seem to accept any form of control from an organisation. I am fascinated to know how others cope with finding another group to asscociate with. I am so cynical i might never be able to be a part of any group again! It is not high on my list at the moment, but some time in the future i would like to get back to thinking about God and sharing in worship. How have others here coped and any thoughts

x

• lilyflor
    lilyflor

I definitely questions everything now, no matter who it comes from.

there is always the nagging question in the back of my mind -- is this true, and why

• hybridous
    hybridous

I like this post!

I explained to my friends that I think my JW upbringing has lots to do with my politics (libertarianism) and general distrust of authority and opposition to initiations of force against an individual.

Totally immune from collectivist BS that would sacrifice my rights and well being for some nebulous 'group'.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Yeah I hate anything that seems to be 'controlling' especially at work, and i'm a manager, and bit of a rebel had a few run ins with upper management.

Infact I see many parrallels to JWs. But hang on a minute world head quarters for my employer is in Pitsburgh PA anyway (I wonder?)

I'm certainly not interested in belonging to a (any) religion again.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I get even chills at work when someone refers to "the organization" or says "we need to have a unified policy on..."

I don't think I could do organised religion again.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Same here. I'm not going to join any group or religion that obligates me to do things ever again. Personal freedom is too precious and I have half a lifetime to make up for.

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

Semel, to be honest, I'm trying to work out why you feel you need to get involved in another form of worship again. Don't you see that it's all the same bullsh*t?

All religion is started by just one man. And usually it's just one self-indulgent, egotistic man. Think about that. It's like you deciding, "Oh I think everyone should start listening to me cause I know so much better than them," and then you start a religion on all the stuff that rocks your socks. Which is cool for you, but kinda lame for everyone else.

If you believe the Bible, take note that Jesus never mentioned any of this rubbish. He never once said that you wouldn't be acceptable unless you were following the chosen mystery group. That's man once again bringing in their own control and pride.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

It must be a common thing for ex-jws to have this feeling of not wanting to be controlled. Or maybe it is what we all have in our personality, and thats WHY we are ex-jws ?

When I first faded I too wanted to worship with others and I attended a local church for awhile . It filled a need at the time ,but I find that need has faded and I just don't feel I want to do that right now . I don't think I will Ever join another group formally .

I too am very conscious of not wanting others to have control over me ....at work and in personal relationships .

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I was actually going to start a thread about this myself, because I'm having serious issues about my place of employment. It's a small company but the owner is a control freak whose favorite expression is 'think like I think or you have no chance of success'. He can be verbally abusive and keeps a very strict watch on everything we do. It gets my hackles up big time and brings out the rebel in me something fierce. Last month, I had a serious sit-down chat with him alone and told him about my background as a former JW and that his method of 'inspiring' us only serves to destroy my self esteem and that I can't abide the 'think like I think' mantra. I told him respectfully that no one should ever tell another person how to think and that it feels a little cultish. He didn't know what to say - he sympathized with my background and shared a nightmare story that a friend of his is going through with his ex wife who is a JW but held his ground. Needless to say, nothing has improved and I'm currently reviewing my options for finding another job.

• semelcred
    semelcred

Thank you for your responses!

Hotchocolate your comments are my exact feelings. Others here have felt like studying the bible and remaing involved in thinking about worship and spiritual questions. I feel strange that , that after years as an elder and pionee, and once the confusion of leaving had gone, i have really no desire to do this.

Intellectually i think - should i make an effort to do some bible reading? but all i hear, in my head when i read, is the GB and the control!!! I have read alot of Ayan Rand and think objectivism is an approach to ethics that i can respect but even with that i think 'hang on a second, don't allow yourself to be joined to a philosophy as a replacement for a religion!'

any thoughts?

x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit