JAPAN Bethel downsizes with layoffs!

by Alligator Wisdom 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Twenty+ year veteran Japanese Bethelites sent to the field as Special Pioneers. I don't have the exact number laid off. However, there are a total of 550+ members at the Ebina Branch, so if the trend reflects the same as in the U.S. and Europe branches, then we can assume at least between 10% - 20%.

In order to counterbalance the need for a work force BUT without having to incur expenses by housing and feeding them, Japan Bethel is considering opening the door to "commuting Bethelites". These would be brothers who live outside the "commune" and would be willing to travel/commute to work voluntarily at the Japan branch. Something similiar to volunteer Regional Building Committee workers who do quick builds.

I'll update as I learn more.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• sir82
    sir82

Jah's mighty chariot flies onward....

If it happens to run over a few dozen, or hundred, or thousand, loyal soldiers on its way, well, that's the price of progress....

• zoiks
    zoiks

I wonder what, if any, effect the cultural background will have on those sent away.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Wow! Interesting! So, the Japan branch wouldn't have to provide room and board expense for those. (Maybe Japan has a type of taxing obligation on 'room & board' that the WTS doesn't want to pay?) Plus, the volunteers may have a family supporting them or a part-time job? I don't see how this will work for very long for the WTS. It seems the WTS is in a 'mania' downsizing and moving worldwide. Something's up!

• Gregor
    Gregor

"I wonder what...effect the cultural background will have on those sent away"

• watson
    watson

I think the "Watchtower" facebook fan page should hear about this!!

• yknot
    yknot

Once again I am 'sad' for the gutted feeling of those newly SPd ......but ecstatic that the WTS overall is hurting financially!

Hopefully Possible-san's Japanese site will get some new members!

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Gayle said : the volunteers may have a family supporting them or a part-time job.

This is what seems to be what the Japan Bethel is looking for. Plus, this opens the door for those ambitious type brothers who can now claim "Bethel" status if they can be accepted to go as commuter workers. I assume this volunteer work will be accepted into their pioneer time.

Gregor : LOL!

Ynot : The SP status won't last forever for these newly laid off ones. They were originally hoping to make it a Bethel career, and eventually being cared for when they are old and invalid IF the New System doesn't come in their lifetime. But now, reality bites.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

These laid-off Bethelites will become like Ronin, consigned to wander without a master, looked down upon with disdain from those Bethelites who were not forced out, yet unprepared to end their JW lives.

• moshe
    moshe

Obviously, it would be shameful in Japan to be on of the ones kicked out- you must have done something wrong in their mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit