WTBS taking care of older ones?

by roadrunner027 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• nelly136
    nelly136

During her 40yr marriage my father in law worked while she pioneered. ..... alimony? divorce settlement?

depending where you live you want to be careful you dont get stuck with her medical bills too.

if you divide the hoousehold outgoings between the adults, it may also be an idea to get a list of rental costs for properties in the area as well.

that way you can show a comparison to how much renting a place costs as opposed to the split.

the only thing with dividing the costs, it may make her feel like she's got a permanent fixture. she may be physically capable of work now, but can

you afford to keep her for years if that stops.

if theres a waiting list for assisted housing of any sort then it may be worth getting her name on it now.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I know of one case (his widow told me) : They were missionaries, and he nearly died of some horrendous infection. He was left an invalid, and the doctoers advised him to go home. The Branch said that the Society"does not provide financial assistance for those who decide to leave their missionary assignment."

I know of another case like that back in the 70s. A missionary couple were serving in a poor third world country and the wife contracted malaria with serious complications, leaving her severely debilitated. She needed to get the proper medical care that could be found in their home country. The Branch would not pay for them to come back - they had been given a one way ticket out there to their assignment and that was that - too bad. An aunt had to stump up the cash for their air fare back. The Branch's attitude really upset the family.

• sir82
    sir82

Wait, you think the direction of the money flow should be out of Bethel, and to the publishers?

<Guffaw>

Yeah, lots of luck with that.

That's the thing about the Society - they just point to "Jehovah" and say "See that guy over there? He'll take care of you."

• Gayle
    Gayle

The WTS does not care about your mother-in-law's plight. They would more or less just say, she made her own choice. They would not feel any responsibility.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The WTS will take care of you so long as you are willing to circumnavigate their anus with the tip of your tongue.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

The only suggestion I can put forward is that you try to contact Jah Jireh. This is a charity run by certain brothers operating mainly from the U.k. They open care homes for elderly Jehovah Witnesses but usually with individuals receiving assistance from the state as well, providing they fall into a certain category, needing mostly medical help and care.

They can be reached via the internet.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

I was a very zealous JW for 22 years. I was never an elder (never felt the "calling" and hated the bureaucracy) but I was usually thought pretty well of and was influential to a degree. One of the reasons that I left the JW cult was over charitable works, I mean the complete lack of charitable works. I pushed for help for elderly JWs for various reasons several times. By pushed I mean I went to the city overseer the CO, the DO, called Headquarters, went to the quickbuild committee. I asked for various things like special donations being asked for, outright assistance, the quickbuild committee putting on a special project to help elderly people who lost their home, etc.

The answer was always the same. "We are not a social welfare agency". "Our charitable works are the door to door ministry and nothing else can interfere with that".

The friction between me and the society got so bad that I was told to stop pushing for help for people on the threat of being disfellowshipped for being insubordinate.

So, no the WTBTS will not help anyone.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

The Watchtower Org. calls itself a charity but in reality it is a beneficiary of charity. It is a business monster called charity fed by millions of followers who hold the Watchtower in their blind spot.

This non charity is at the centre of the Watchtower Org. It sits there like some ugly, multi tentacled ,slimy, warty multi faceted creature from a stinking slime pit sucking in the unwary . It reaches out grasping for every bit of coinage it can get its multi feelers around. Taking all unto itself , gorging on human effort and giving nothing in return , at the same time spewing up those who try to clean its very heart.

It is the broken promise society. Promise after promise after promise broken. The wild dreamings of men evaporated into nothing .

The worst of it is that all this human effort expended on this organisation through many many decades could have been put to good use and so could its vast income.

This monster has created a charity vacuum to protect itself .It doesn't have to help out because their brand of warped religion teaches that basically it is wrong to assist materially the sufferings of the World and why because they suppose the World is a lost cause. But what they forget is that they themselves are part of the World whether they like it or not.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I have known of some brothers and sisters who truly cared for the elderly ones. Most of the time, they were elderly themselves.

The WTS always emphasizes the need for immediate family relatives to care for one another. If no family relative exists that can help, then the elderly ones need to look to the government for assistance. If that is not possible, then the congregation suppose to help. But the JWs are nothing like the Mormans who helped my former Morman neighbors who were financially broke.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Another reason I think that congregations are hesitate to help those in need is because of a letter read several years ago from the WTS about being extremely cautious of those asking for financial relief. That there are ones who are scamming the congregations for help when they can either find work or get help from the government. If they can't get help from the government, then why not? Does the government know something about the individuals that the congregation members do not?

Yes being within the congregation with a financial need can be a cold, cold place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit