NEW GENERATION DEFINED -- April 15, 2010 Watchtower

by Ultimate Reality 385 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ultimate Reality
    Ultimate Reality

They have been planning this since the convoluted explanation in 2008. When the current 2010 article says, "It usually refers to people of varying ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period", it is referring to the 2008 article that created this definition (see below). Of course, this does not fit the 1st Century parallel, and no one would ever read Jesus' words and arrive at this meaning, but faith in 1914 and the urgency of the times must be maintained.

From the February 15, 2008 Watchtower; the 'box' on Can We Calculate the Length of "This Generation"?:

The word "generation" usually refers to people of various ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period or event. For example, Exodus 1:6 tells us: "Eventually Joseph died, and also all his brothers and all that generation." Joseph and his brothers varied in age, but they shared a common experience during the same time period. Included in "that generation" were some of Joseph's brothers who were born before him. Some of these outlived Joseph. (Gen. 50:24) Others of "that generation," such as Benjamin, were born after Joseph was born and may have lived on after he died.

So when the term "generation" is used with reference to people living at a particular time, the exact length of that time cannot be stated except that it does have an end and would not be excessively long. Therefore, by using the term "this generation," as recorded at Matthew 24:34, Jesus did not give his disciples a formula to enable them to determine when "the last days" would end. Rather, Jesus went on to emphasize that they would not know "that day and hour."—2 Tim. 3:1; Matt. 24:36.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

observation:

How, then, are we to
    understand Jesus’ words about “this generation”?
    He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed
    who were on hand when the sign began to become
    evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other
    anointed ones who would see the start of the great
    tribulation.
    That generation had a beginning, and it
    surely will have an end.

This speaks of the 1914 generation of annointed and other annointed, not the next group of annointed. This does not call this other group of annointed consecutive to the 1914 crew. This could then span multiple generations????

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Ohhhhh here's one they can say that everlasting life has come to Jehovah's people, cause when we get the truth its like we are born again and anyone who we talk to or meet after we get the truth is like a continuation of our life and thus wenever die.

That'll be cool for them to get out of the millions now living will never die thing.

• bohm
    bohm

FAIL!!!!

And i bet the next 'light' will be all about hinting that each of the two overlapping 'parts' of the generation is about 50-60 years, making all the dubs think the big A will come within a decade, max two.

IDIOTS! (the GB).

man i feel like swearing...

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Per usual, the Watchtower has made what on the surface appears to be a clear-cut doctrinal change, but it’s left itself plenty of wiggle room to change its stance in the future and claim it didn't make any predictions but only suggested certain possibilities. Meanwhile, all baptized JWs are expected to accept and view this new understanding as "truth." Those who don’t embrace it subject themselves to excommunication. Yet, the WT is somehow not prophesying. Who said you can't have your cake and eat it too?

Let's look at some of their weasel words:

Although we cannot measure the exact length of “this generation,” we do well to keep in mind several things about the word “generation”

Translation: Although we refuse to be held accountable for our predictions, this is what JWs must accept as current truth.

It usually refers

If we change our minds yet again, we never said that the generation definitely means this or that. It usually means what we said it meant.

He evidently meant that

We're not saying we directly speak for Jesus or know with any certitude what Jesus meant. JWs, however, will know that they must accept this current understanding as truth or face disfellowshipment

There's even some built in wiggle room in these words: "That generation had a beginning, and it surely will have an end. The fulfillment of the various features of the sign clearly indicate that the tribulation must be near."

Notice the words "surely will have an end" and "tribulation must be near." The WT doesn't say "will have an end" or "tribulation is near." The words "surely" and "must" leave open the room for a little bit of doubt. For example, "surely the bus will arrive on time" is an expression of an expectation that the bus will arrive on time as it perhaps has many times before. This is much different than saying "the bus will arrive on time," which is an affirmative expression saying something will definitively occur, i.e., don't worry, the bus will get here at its scheduled time. The same holds true for the words "must be near." More wiggle room.

Would any reasonable lawyer advise his client to sign a contract or a deed with such uncertain terms? I think not. Yet many of us made the unfortunate decision to figuratively sign a contract with this religion via baptism. Live and learn, I guess.

• 5thGeneration
  • dozy
    dozy

it-1p.917 Generation

A generation commonly refers to all persons who were born about the same time. (Ex 1:6)

WT Apr 15 2010 Generation

It usually refers to people of varying ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period; it is not excessively long;
    and it has an end. (Ex. 1:6)

The capacity of the WTBTS to give definitive applications of scriptures and then change them again a few years later continues to astonish me.

• zoiks
    zoiks

My COBE cryptically referred to this upcoming change while meeting with me a few months back. Obviously the news from the annual meeting had reached him. He referred to as a "really exciting and wonderful" new understanding that proves how close to the end we are.

Knowing him, and knowing most of the folks at my local hall, this will be hyped up and people will be all wide-eyed, amazed at this wonderful new light.

I am losing hope for many of them.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Wow, this is amazing! So according to the WT generation of "generation," a child born today--in 2010--is actually part of Tom Brokaw's "Greatest Generation" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Generation) because there are still plenty of WWII vets alive today...

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    So according to the WT generation of "generation," a child born today--in 2010--is actually part of Tom Brokaw's "Greatest Generation"

And today's kindergardener is a part of the WWI generation because Kama Chinen of Japan who is the oldest living person was born in 1895. You see, these generations "overlap"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit