Sunk Costs

by zarco 16 Replies latest jw friends

• zarco
    zarco

It is interesting that many who do not believe any more or others with good thinking abilities choose to remain a witness. I believe that the sunk costs are the reason… I will explain more below. I also think this is why maybe even the governing body or other decision-makers at bethel are so reluctant to own up to real truth.

In economics, sunk costs are past costs that have already been incurred and cannot be recovered. For witnesses the sunk cost are a lifetime of self sacrifice, foregoing an education, not reaching out to make friends with “worldly people”, being isolated from communities and society in general.

In the business world, we are taught that only future costs matter when making a decision. If one were to include sunk costs, then the decision maker gets biased by what happened in the past and may make a poor decision with regard to a future investment. While all are taught to ignore sunk costs, few do so.

Some suggest that the reason that decision-makers consider sunk costs is that we are inherently loss-averse and thus normally act irrationally when making decisions. This aversion to loss is likely what causes many to stay a witness even when they know it is not the “truth”. The aversion is to losing friends and family, to owning up to years of being wrong and admitting that one may have taught false things to others.

It is understandable to me why so many stay. The trap of sunk costs is one that affects many business leaders and it certainly affects those deciding whether to stay a witness or to go, to fade or to leave immediately.

For those of you who have ignored sunk costs - left the witnesses- and are making decisions based on a look to the future , all the best to you. What a courageous sound decision!

For those of you who stick around because of the large amounts invested - time, money, friendships and sacrifice – I understand and all the best to you as well. My only advice is to examine whether the sunk cost is influencing your decision more than you wish it to.

Zarco

• goldensky
    goldensky

Great advice, Zarco. How interesting! I had never thought about the "sunk costs", but now that you bring it to my attention, I realize I totally brushed them off when I awakened. I didn 't stop for even one second to think about the investment (after 45 years in!). Once I "saw the light", I immediately made my decision and implemented it without ever looking back. Your words may help many still in to consider to what extent that may be holding them back.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I think that is maybe true of JWs who were older when they awakened (maybe 50+?).

In my case it has nothing to do with sunk costs and everything to do with family.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Double post.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hmm. I totally agree with you, Zarco, but the term that describes that behavior or attitude for me was "invested". As in I've "invested" my time, effort, and hopes for the future in this organization...

Which, in reality, I did not. Was dragged and beaten into it; would have gotten out sooner but for the lingering intimidation and threats.

That's an idea for another thread; an analysis of the many forms of intimidation and threats - especially the 'hidden' ones - that infest the WTBTS.

Zid

• zarco
    zarco

Ziddina - Invested is a good term as well. I think it feels like an investment at the time of making the effort, maybe it feels like a cost more after the fact. And as you said, "getting dragged and beaten into it" feels more like a cost. Your point about the intimidation and threats is a good one. Without the hammer of shunning and less painful threats the JWs probably do not have many witnesses hang around..... Look forward to reading your thread on it.

zarco

• ziddina
    ziddina

Whoops! Zarco, I meant I'd rather read YOUR thread about it - you gonna make me get offa my lazy butt and start a thread?

Zid

• Open mind
    Open mind

Excellent "meat in due season" Zarco. I'll chew it carefully and thoughtfully.

om

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

If I recall correctly Andrew Holden makes a similar point in his book about Jehovah's Witnesses. I am sure I know some Witnesses like that. For some, admitting to themselves that they have sacrificed so much and wasted so much time for nothing is more than they can bear.

• zarco
    zarco

goldensky -

I totally brushed them off when I awakened

When I was writing the post, I thought about those who leave all at once. I wondered if some event is so powerful that it causes one not to even worry about past costs. It is like an investment is so bad that an investor says "I have had it" and dumps the investment - was that the case with you?

ziddina - we can co-author a thread on the terror tactics of the JWs. If we co-authored then we each would only be half-lazy.

OM - it is food for thought for me too. I try to examine our decision making regarding fading to see what is influencing our decisions.

slimboyfat - I have not read Holden. Thanks for referencing his work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit