To Ex-JWs: Do You Regret Learning it Was a Lie?

by leavingwt 116 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I've really been enjoying the many comments on this thread.

• wobble
    wobble

I do not regret having it confirmed that it was a lie, I had my suspicions for so long.

But it was still a shock, it was as if the parent I had trusted and looked up to all my life, 58 bloody years, turned out to be a paedophile.

I am so glad I am out and free.

Love

Wobble

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

No, I do not regret learning it was a lie.

However, I do regret trying to force myself to believe after being convinced that something was not right. Its as if it were yesterday as I waited in anticipation for the Sunday meeting in 1995 where we would discuss the new light on "generation". Finally, we sang the song and the watchtower lesson begins. The paragraghs are read, hands are raised and comments given. Yet nothing. No one acknowledges the implications of the "new understanding". I sat there wondering what had just happened. Wondering if I was the only soul that understood that things had forever changed.

After the meeting, there was boasting of how we receive light and clarification on prophecies that the churches will never receive.

I thought it was me. That I was one of little faith and needed to get in the center of the organization. I quit a fantastic job and started regular pioneering that fall. It would then take more than a decade for me to acknowledge that the "truth" was actually a lie.

I don't have many regrets in my life, but I do regret not walking away 15 years ago. Truth be told, I knew something wasn't right starting around age 10 but we all know how that works.

Well, I'm 90% free now.

Happy Sunday everyone!!!!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Truth be told, I knew something wasn't right starting around age 10 but we all know how that works.

Yes. I so wish I had listened and trusted my 5 year old self, my 10 year old self, back when things just didn't add up. Because embarrassingly, when 1995 rolled around, I just lapped that up like all the rest of the deluded.

But no, I've never regretted learning it was all a lie. In fact I think it may have saved my life. I remember that for a period of about 6 months immediately after exiting, I was in awe, every single day, of how much better each day of freedom felt than the day before.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Little sister said

My sister and brother-in-law opened my eyes a few weeks before Christmas and although I had a few sleepless nights I knew they were right. It is like everything has fallen into place. I owe them big time they are the best.

They sound great. You are so lucky to have such a fantastic sister and brother in law.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I would not reverse what I know. If I could go back though, I might do a real nice fade and try to hold onto a couple of friends. But I don't know if I would be happy playing games - not the sort - betcha didn't know that, eh?

Jeff

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

bttt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit