Should a Christian see the movie "AVATAR"?

by skeeter1 51 Replies latest jw friends

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

The culture and beliefs of the people in AVATAR have much in common with the native American Indians. They along with their culture were largely wiped out by mass immigration. I can see history repeating itself - as it always does. What goes around comes around.

I am full of cliches today - full of something!

As for Christians, they can believe and watch whatever the want. If they like the movie, they will start to believe that Jesus was blue, and find a reference in the Bible that can be interpreted to support this new truth.

• RR
    RR

I not only saw it, I bought the DVD the day it came out

• TD
    TD

Every JW I know has loved the movie. --Might not mean anything, because it's a more liberal group that associate with 'Unbelievers' anyway.

• techdotcom
    techdotcom

My wife wants to know if the information for the Sunday talk at the Circuit Assembly (our last one early this year) was an outline or one that had to be read from a script. The point being that if it was a script then several people at least would have to be complicit in shoddy reasearch or in knowlingly saying something outrageously false.

Oh and did anyone else hear the same info at thier Circuit Assembly or did this brother just decide to go on a rant about Avatar himself? I kinda suspect he read the email going around and used the material almost word for word in his talk. Which would be telling in of itself for him since that material did not come thru the 'faithfull and discrete slave'.

To sum up:

1) Was the talk scripted or outline?

2) Did any other CA public talks have the same info in it?

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

My Jw parents think its demonized and strongly oppose to watching the movie

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

My mom was bothered by...get this...the supposed sex scene involving their tails. Weirdo...

• bottleofwater
    bottleofwater

No life...

• compound complex
    compound complex

Speaking of getting orders from headquarters, when Brokeback Mountain was making the theatre circuit, Guy Pierce told the Circuit Assembly audience that that is a movie a Christian would not see. I was there.

How's that for specificity?

CC

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

bumpp...

Watchtower article on ET? What was the gist of the article. I saw that movie. Neil Diamond sang in it, and my mother LOVED him so I could see the movie. LOL.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

July 8, 1983 Awake!

Christ or E.T.?

E.T.—TheExtra-Terrestrial burst on the scene in the United States this past summer, attracting theater audiences in record numbers. In only six weeks it grossed nearly $150 million. With spin-offs in E.T. dolls, toys and other merchandise—as well as the movie’s release in other parts of the world—it is estimated the public could spend a whopping $1 billion on E.T. Why the E.T. fever?

The movie depicts an ungainly 3-foot (90-cm)-high creature from space, stranded on earth, who befriends a ten-year-old boy named Elliott. E.T.’s friendliness and benign powers, such as healing the boy’s cut finger and bringing flowers to life, win the affection of Elliott and his family. Sadly, a wasting illness appears to take the creature’s life. But when he is inexplicably “resurrected” before Elliott’s eyes audiences cheer. His touching good-bye, when E.T.’s alien friends take him home, leaves hardly a dry eye in the theater.

Interestingly, many have noted parallels in the story to that of the life of Jesus Christ. Said Professor Albert E. Millar, Jr.: “I think the thing that struck me most was the idea of the capacity to heal, and then when E.T. died and was resurrected.” We have in E.T., then, an enchanting Messiahlike figure that gives momentary emotional release to our need for a true friend with powers greater than ours. Therein lies the movie’s great appeal.

Despite its seemingly Christian message, however, the movie subtly condones youthful misbehavior. In an early scene we find youths playing “Dungeons and Dragons” in a smoke-filled room with a lighted cigarette on the table. Later on, when E.T. gets drunk sampling beer, and Elliott in telepathic sympathy feels the effects, it is all portrayed as something cute. Further, some of the language used by these children is gross profanity. This, along with the supernatural aspects of the movie, has bothered many Christians.

Whether parents or their children see this movie is, of course, a matter of personal choice. But because of the movie’s great popularity, let us not forget that it becomes an effective vehicle for sugarcoating youthful conduct that is definitely wrong.

E.T. may be a skillfully constructed and highly entertaining movie. But it provides no substitute for our True Friend, Jesus Christ, who saves us from this dying, wicked world. After all, E.T. is make-believe. Christ is reality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit