Are the Dubbers still preaching the end is very close?

by dogon 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

If you would like a thoughtful, well-researched, scholarly counterpoint to EOM's frantic generalizations, check out Harvard Professor Steven Pinker's lecture. That puts things in a bit of perspective. The text of his article is here: http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/pinker07/pinker07_index.html. A Youtube video of his lecture is available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ramBFRt1Uzk

• undercover
    undercover

Hey OMG...thanks for the link. Marking this thread so I can read the article more in depth later.

This statement did stand out on my first quick review:

Yet, despite these caveats, a picture is taking shape. The decline of violence is a fractal phenomenon, visible at the scale of millennia, centuries, decades, and years.

Gee...it's almost like we're evolving...

• sir82
    sir82

EOM....With all due respect....you're an idiot.

School safety and shootings (I NEVER feared of school violence while a kid and I moved around a lot and had been in areas which NOW would not feel safe. The columbine shootings started a downfall there.

Yes, schools were MUCH safer in the year, say, 750 AD.

- Extreme family violence - I remember as a kid when up north, 2 JW teens killed their parents and younger brother while they slept with an ax, and have seen family violence and murders become daily news

Right, the Romans who left deformed & disabled children on the dung heaps, to die of exposure? Hardly worth mentioning.

- homosexuality - it was not broadcast and in movies and tv anything like now

Hey, you know, you're right....I've never seen a movie from the Ottoman empire that broadcast homosexuality.

- Video game violence - I remember when Mortal Kombat for Sega came out, and there were news reports and tons of parents and organizations in strong opposition against that game, because it was a fighting game showing graphic. Now that game would be considered rated G probably.

Yeah, the gladiatorial games in ancient Rome, featuring wild animals vs. unarmed Christians, were far tamer...

- weather extremes / seasons off / etc - the weather was very normal and predictable each year, mild, and seasons in place. Having spring and flowers bloom in northern states in January, etc, never happened when I was kid. What's interesting is that in book of jubilees it foretold this occuring in the time of the end.

God, don't I know it! I remember just how predictable the weather was 63 million years ago when the dinosaurs roamed the earth....and just last week they said it would rain, and not a drop!

- natural diasters - past 5 years, let alone 10 years, records of these have been broke since recorded history of the said events (since 1800's)

Yes, and as any history book will tell you, there were absolutely no natural disasters before 1800.

- divorce - I believe as a kid, it was perhaps 50% or less, it's probably 90%+ now?

Yes, absolutely, 90+%. In fact, despite news reports to the contrary, there is absolutely no one on earth today who's been married for more than 3 months.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit