If God Truly Cared About People Wouldn't He DO SOMETHING By Now?

by minimus 392 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Like I mentioned in the "death of three" thread, I think in terms of not what God can do for me or why hasn't God fixed all the crap we've done, but I look at it as, why haven't we fixed it?

Just so you'll be aware of the non-believing perspective of your analogy, I'll comment further. I'm not trying to argue or evangelize you. I just want you to understand my thinking.

To me, this is like asking a room of three-year-olds why they haven't prepared their own lunch, done their own laundry and built their own swingset.

Moreover, if the "we" in your explanation manages to fix everything, it won't in any way erase the untold suffering of the billions that lived prior to the fix.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    You folks aren't dealing with reality. If God can stop things, he isn't. "Why haven't we fixed it?" ---Fix death, devastation, aging, suffering aches and pains, etc.? When man can "fix" it so that people have eternal life, let me know.

We are living longer than ever before in recored time (lifespan), we can fix most of the problems we have and are fighting to win the battle against many of the killer disease out there, we can fix famine and repair devesation.

We may not be able to prevent earthquakes or hurricanes but people can choose NOT to live in those areas and we now can fix things faster and better then ever before.

We have to be honest with ourselves and yes, there is MUCH to do, but we also have done so much already, lets not deny all the good mankind has done just to "spite God".

Most of us here will agree that, IF those people that have much woudl share with those that have nothing, we would be able to irradicate most of the social and economical problems, if we focused our energy on doing better for the world, we coudl do it.

In 1903 the Wright brothers "flew" for the first time and in 1969 we put a man on the freaking moon.

In 66 years, look what we did.

See what I am saying?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    That's why it is called faith.
    BTS

That is an answer/response that I can respect and even understand. It's an admission (of sorts) that it doesn't necessarily make sense, but you've decided that God is right answer for you. The alternative to God having a plan is unacceptable. You have a positive view of the future and you feel that God will make everything right, in the end.

Ironically, non-belief also allows a positive view of the future. I cannot possibly blame God. Things just happen. Some people are unlucky. The natural world is often an arms race between predator and prey. We must individually do the best we can to secure a positive future for ourselves, our children and our neighbors.

• snowbird
    snowbird

But, LWT, we have done so many other stupendous things - even gone to the moon and back!

Surely we can wipe out hunger and other ills.

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    To me, this is like asking a room of three-year-olds why they haven't prepared their own lunch, done their own laundry and built their own swingset.

You want kids to be responsible? give them responsibilites.

We are NOT 3 year olds, but your point is a valid one.

Moreover, if the "we" in your explanation manages to fix everything, it won't in any way erase the untold suffering of the billions that lived prior to the fix.

Will, one can argue that "WE" do have a lot to answer for.

• steve2
    steve2

I can accept in theory "God" leaving adults to their own devices (Sylvia said it's people who do bad things to each other - not God; no argument from me on that nice escape clause). However, I can't accept a God claiming to be a God of love who then does nothing when children are harmed and/or killed by adults.

To quote an old saying, Action speaks louder than words. All we ever hear about God's caring are religious words of belief, not actions. At the most, God is a remote, disinterested being who for thousands of years has left children bereft of practical help. It's the same as supposedly "innocent" parties sitting by when they see children harmed by saying, "It's the adults over there who are hurting the children; not me". A very,very weak excuse for doing nothing.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    But, LWT, we have done so many other stupendous things - even gone to the moon and back!
    Surely we can wipe out hunger and other ills.
    Sylvia

Sylvia,

I HOPE those things happen.

-LWT

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

If enough of us did something, there would be no hungry people. It's not like there isn't enough food. We dump billions of tons in the US alone.

Still, even if you don't believe in God, it is still a matter of faith to believe that things will improve in the long run. You can't prove it, but you believe and hope it is true. That we will overcome. And every humanist I have ever met believes that. I feel in my bones that we are headed towards something glorious, and I don't even need what I learned from my religion to give me that intuition.

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

{(Sylvia said it's people who do bad things to each other - not God; no argument from me on that nice escape clause).}

No escape clause, Steve.

My faith, with all its ups and downs, rests squarely on the Almighty.

Sylvia

• minimus
    minimus

I am not asking about OUR capabilities. "Patience" doesn't address my question about what God simply is not doing. Even if I am patient, the fact is God does nothing to stop death and suffering. If you believe in God you have to recognize he's still "resting". If you believe God WILL remedy our woes, why isn't he doing it at this time? What's he waiting for? More pain and suffering?? Evidently.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit