Wasted Life Story..The Uncaring Husband 1.2.02WT

by ISP 14 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

This is the ‘Wasted Life Story’ from the Feb 1 2002 WT.

I would have entitled it ‘ The Uncaring Husband’…….

This guy gets married in 1954. Tragically his wife has to have an operation to remove a brain tumor in 1957. This leaves her in a fairly desperate state.

As a result, my wife was left partially paralysed , and her speech center was badly affected. Now a whole set of complicated challenges arose for both of us. Even the simplest task became a major obstacle for my dear wife. Her deteriorating condition necessitated drastic changes in our everyday routine.
    Hey but no worries our zealous brother knows how to look after her.
    When I went on business trips, I took her along and parked the car near a busy sidewalk. She opened the car window and invited passersby to take copies of The Watchtower and Awake!
    But our brother copes well….btw substitute ‘my’ for ‘Jehovah’ in the last line.
    As for me, this situation provided a longterm education in endurance and perseverance. I experienced Jehovah’s helping hand many times. Brothers and sisters made real sacrifices in order to help us in any way possible, and the doctors kindly supported us. During all those difficult years, we never lacked life’s necessities, although our demanding circumstances made it impossible for me to hold a full-time job. Jehovah’s interests and service were always given top priority.-Matthew 6:33.
    What was our long-suffering brother doing? Although he could not work full time he could be a congregational servant and work for three years on a building project, despite his wife’s situation!
    Back in 1960, I was appointed to serve as a congregation servant in Nikaia, Piraievs…..Then, in 1979, plans were made to build the first Assembly Hall in Greece, on the outskirts of Athens. I was assigned to help organize and carry out this huge construction project…Working for three years with hundreds of self-sacrificing brothers and sisters forged a strong bond of love and unity among us.
    What about his wife, Eleni? Did she have any choice? Remember that earlier he had said ‘the simplest task became a major obstacle for my dear wife’.
    Eleni never complained or became demanding, even when my increased responsibilities in Jehovah’s service occasionally made things inconvenient for her.
    It gets worse……..
    On April 12, 1987, while my wife was preaching in front of our house, a heavy iron door swung shut behind her, hurling her onto the sidewalk, seriously injuring her. As a result, she remained in a coma for the next three years. She died in early 1990.
    So where was he while his handicapped wife was trying to preach? And whose gate was that? And why was it not safe? ‘Jehovah’s helping hand’ was noticeably absent then.
    So the WTS motto is….. if you get married and your wife gets handicapped…don’t worry too much you can still get the brothers to help out…you can still ‘progress’…you might not need a proper job …and she might have a bad accident in the end.

ISP

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

ISP: I really like the narration, good points made, with humor. Brilliant. Please consider posting more like this the future.

((Hey but no worries our zealous brother knows how to look after her.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I went on business trips, I took her along and parked the car near a busy sidewalk. She opened the car window and invited passersby to take copies of The Watchtower and Awake!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    )))

Very good!!! Heheeeeeeee

“Cancel my subscription to the resurrection. Send my credentials to the House of Detention, I got some friends inside.....” The Doors

• BQE
    BQE

LOL!!!! poor thing!! Imagine if this was the husband that was ill and not the wife!!!

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Good point, BQE

“Cancel my subscription to the resurrection. Send my credentials to the House of Detention, I got some friends inside.....” The Doors

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

isp - your outrage is oozing from the screen ...

i too thought the gate and resultant three year coma was ironic ...

i think maybe you are being a little too hard on this guy, but i must admit, when i read it, this very morning - i was aghast at one comment:

After finding his (at that time) fiancee had a brain tumour he said "what was i supposed to do in this situation? In view of the changed circumstances, should i end the engagement and set myself free? No! With my betrothal, I had made a promise and I wanted my yes to mean yes."

i thought that if he was so committed - why did he even think to say such a thing - was this perhaps a freudian slip ?

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

That is totally fucked up.

(wondering how many times I can say fuck today on the board)

• LDH
    LDH

anyone else laughing at this whack job flying through the air with WT and AFake in her hands?

Lisa

• ISP
    ISP

Cyg.....

wondering how many times I can say fuck today...

Been playing chess again?!

ISP

• Scully
    Scully

There's something about this story that is completely pathetic and makes me want to throw up.

Maybe it's the "poor me, poor me" martyr-in-the-making tone that he seems to be taking.

Maybe it's the way he used his wife as a billboard on the streetcorners while he went and attended to "Kingdom business".

Then again, it could be his complete and utter disregard for her wishes. It seems that she never had any say whatsoever in anything, and that he just assumed that whatever he did was fine with her. If he parked her on the streetcorner with a pile of Watchtower literature and a tin cup, there was absolutely nothing she could do about it. She could barely speak, for crying out loud!!

If he'd taken a proper job he very likely could have provided better care for her with the assistance of health care professionals. But instead of giving her the care she deserved, he drags her on his Kingdom Quest, and plays on the pity of onlookers to use her as his own little freak show for Jehovah. How loving of him!

After years of that kind of abuse (let's call it what it is, shall we?) I'd be looking for a steel door to whack me into a coma too!

I can't wait to hear about this experience being used to guilt all these poor old JWs in nursing homes about getting in their 15 minutes per month!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Love, Scully

It is not persecution for an informed person to expose a certain religion as being false. - WT 11/15/63

• terafera
    terafera

LOL I'm sorry guys.. this story is sad but I can't stop laughing at your commentaries :-D

whew *wipes tears from eyes*

Seriously, that is pathetic. Does anyone else notice the bragging that oozes from these kinds of stories? I believe that we should do good and not look for attention.. but these people are always saying how much they did in God's name. So sad...

It is REALLY pathetic that a woman with brain damage and who could barely speak was made to sit in a parked car and peddle literature. All the while this guy is bragging about his long suffering. I bet he is really pleased with himself. He should have worked and given her capable care. I spent the last 2 years being a Nurse Assistant taking care of disabled/elderly people. You cannot imagine how simple things like eating is a heartbreaking chore.

The comment, too, about should he leave her and be 'free' was crazy! Free? That definately sounded like a Freudian slip!

I wonder who the next victim will be in his life.... I feel sorry for the next wife he puts through hell to further his cause! I also notice how he goes into detail the great achievments he claims to have labored through, but skims through his wife's demise with a sentence.
    Pathetic.

Tera

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit