Salvation Army - JW's don't donate, but would they accept help

by Bonnie_Clyde 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Lets get things straight if a JW was in need of help, either through a natural disaster or otherwise and the

Red Cross or Salvation Army crew was there helping out, the JWS would be there right in line with their mouths

open and their arms stretched out.

Hypocrisy is an acute character profile of a typical JW.

Jws are programed to be self centered and apathetic to others.

Essentially they look out only for themselves.

For many many years other religious groups have contributed to famine relief programs and have built schools

and homes for the desperately poor in other countries. The JWS have done nothing

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Can anybody come up with the January 1965 KM that apparently has a question whether it is OK to go to a Salvation Army store? Or at least tell us what it says?

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

As a whole, the Organization doesn't approve of donations to any other religious/political organizations. However, at the personal level, I've known of many, I being one of them, that have donated in the past and will donate whenever we can to the Salvation Army, as I know they use the funds very well in helping communities. I also give plenty to the Goodwill organizations.

I really admire those organizations that reach out and help the needy. On the other hand, I've been a witness many times over to people that misused their means and were living a very substandard type of life due to their own doing, then they studied the Bible and stopped their wrong ways and became quite self sufficient and cleaned up very nicely.

There are organizations that give out the fish, and then there are those that teach how to fish, and either way there's benefit to the receiving end. I do both things, I contribute to those that give out the fish and also contribute and try to go out there and teach some how to fish.

DY

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

For a religion that professes this level of altruism, they sure have a way of getting out of donating toward helping people that are needy. And especially those who fall into hard times because of doing what they are "supposed to"--like not going to college, wasting gas (at that, during the Energy Crisis of 1973-74), and taking certain time off to make the boasting sessions and go out in field circus. Instead, they are left on their own to clean up the mess, and Brother Hounder will hound them for not doing enough field circus.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I knew two Special Pioneers who were working a little struggling congregation where I went to help out. They took the country welfare food supplement rations to help get by.

First CO didn't like it when he found out - somehow it was "worldly". To his everlasting credit, the new CO guy told them not to worry about it and actually said that the society did not understand that Special Pioneers had to get by on the same WTS subsidy as the COs, but that they could not just turn in weekly expenses to every congregation and assembly. This fine guy would barely even turn in expenses at our congregation - he always saved them for the rich city congregations or the assembly to spread the cost around.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit