Jehovahs Witnesses are banned in Russia

by Quadraphoenix 52 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Quadraphoenix
    Quadraphoenix

http://www.forum18.org/Archive.php?article_id=1385

This is very exciting news for all of us, especially for the ones that want to leave that are in Russia.

Regards

Quadraphoenix

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Since when has banning a cult weakened the resolve of the members?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Ban on Jehovah’s Witnesses

09 December 2009

The Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld a ruling halting the activities of a regional branch of Jehovah’s Witnesses and banning dozens of its publications as extremist.

The court rejected an appeal of September’s ruling by a regional court in Rostov-on-Don that outlawed the group’s activities in the region, seized its assets there and labeled 34 of its publications as extremist, court spokesman Pavel Odintsov said. The list includes a children’s book of Bible stories and its magazine, The Watchtower.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/ban-on-jehovahs-witnesses/391133.html

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Supreme Court Labels Jehovah's Witnesses 'Extremist'

08 December 2009 AP

The country's highest court on Tuesday upheld a ruling halting the activities of a regional branch of Jehovah's Witnesses and banning dozens of its publications in what the group deplored as an unfair move.

Supreme Court spokesman Pavel Odintsov said it rejected the group's appeal of September's ruling by a regional court in Rostov-on-Don. That ruling outlawed the group's activities in the region, seized its assets there and labeled 34 of its publications as extremist.

The group said the list of books includes a children's book of Bible stories and its signature magazine, The Watchtower.

"We are deeply disappointed with that decision," Jehovah's Witnesses spokesman Yaroslav Sivulsky told The Associated Press. "We are concerned that it may affect all our activities, including imports of our publications which are printed in Germany."

Sivulsky said the Supreme Court specifically ruled that the 34 publications should be added to the federal list of publications considered extremist. He said this would effectively ban the publications throughout Russia.

"We consider it to be a rollback to the past," Sivulsky said in a reference to the Soviet past when many members of Jehovah's Witnesses, including his father, were put in prisons. "The Supreme Court makes it illegal for us to profess our views."

He said the group will appeal the Supreme Court's verdict to the European Court for Human Rights, arguing that the Russian courts misinterpreted the law. The law on combating extremism that served as a basis for the verdict has been widely criticized by many rights groups, which have said its loose phrasing allowed authorities to stifle dissent.

A 2004 ruling by the Moscow City Court prohibited a Jehovah's Witnesses branch in the Russian capital from engaging in religious activity there.

Sivulsky said there are at least 160,000 Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/supreme-court-labels-jehovahs-witnesses-extremist/391119.html

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Well! This could happen in the US and worldwide for ALL religions. This may be the beginning.

Let's face it, the WTS has way too many ties to the Illuminati, Freemasonry, etc if you listen to the conspiracy theorists. And we know they do not support local government. That could be construed as being extremist since if everybody in the country were witnesses there would be no government, right?

Remember, when we see the UN ban world religion and the Federal Reserve, that signals the death of Babylon the Great and the takeover of the UN as a world authority. It will then be "a time and a season" until the UN is destroyed at Armageddon. That is, the UN is given 15 months to rule before Armageddon.

I can't believe this! JWs are banned in Russia!! Their assets seized!

Amazing, but consistent with what will happen worldwide!

LS

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

This is great news for those looking forward to Armageddon coming soon.

LS

• cantleave
    cantleave

LS I think you are great but personally I also think you are slightly mad - If you are right I may regret saying - well I'll dead so it won't matter.

• teel
    teel

From the articles it seems to me that the ruling only applies to the region of Rostov-on-Don. The court process started there, and the Supreme Court only upheld the ruling of the regional court. I don't think a regional court could make a ruling for all Russia.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

C'mon JCanon. Get real. They have been continiously banned somewhere on the planet for decades.

This 'exciting news' is just one branch of one unimportant cult in one country, a country it has been banned in before.

Cheers

Chris

• fokyc
    fokyc

Read the complete article here:

http://www.forum18.org/Archive.php?article_id=1385

I think some of you may not have looked at the implications and the way Russian law works.

"The decision today (8 December) by Russia's Supreme Court in Moscow rejecting a Jehovah's Witness appeal opens the way for distribution of all their literature in Russia to be banned in future,"

"...the Jehovah's Witnesses cannot appeal any further within Russia, they will now consider whether to take their case to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) in Strasbourg."

"...distribution of the 34 named Jehovah's Witness texts is now banned."

fokyc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit