UNCONDITIONAL LOVE? DID YOU EVER RECIEVE IT IN THE BORGORG? DO YOU HAVE IT IN YOUR LIFE NOW?

by freewilly01 17 Replies latest jw friends

• freewilly01
    freewilly01

I ALWAYS FELT THE LACK OF IT IN MY LIFE IN THE BORGORG DID YOU?

WHAT DOES UNCONDITIONAL LOVE MEAN TO YOU?

HOW IMPORTANT IS IT TO YOU?

DO YOU HAVE IT IN YOUR LIFE NOW?

HOW WOULD U DESCRIBE IT?

I make sure that my kids and relatives and close friends know that I am all about unconditional love and support no matter what. A love that has nothing to do with performance of any kind . A love that is non-judgmental. It exits because of respect for eachother and isn't based on some scriptural text or influenced by some talk at an assembly.

I AM STILL EXPLORING WITH WAYS TO SHOW IT ANY SUGGESTIONS?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Once again I hate to say it but there is no such thing. There are always conditions. When those who you give "Unconditional" love to, totally disrespect you, willingly and repeatedly mistreat you despite your best efforts, you must show good sense and lose affection for them for your own good. This is only natural. The condition you gave for your unconditional love was that it "exists because of respect for each other." The JW love based on principle is all that is left when its family. Otherwise I think we are all naturally fullfilling some need when we show love to others. This is not to say that it is mechanical or contrived, just reality. We are motivated consciously and unconsiously by our needs and wants. Even dogs don't show it, they want food. W.Once

• Bourne
    Bourne

W.Once said it best.

AMEN.

Bourne

• pat1060
    pat1060

Maybe from my mom.I love my children like that.I have never felt unconditional love.JWs are too judge mental.Even people you are close to is subject to conditions.I agree,W once said it good....

• Gayle
    Gayle

Unconditional love is relative among humans. I think where unconditional love should exist is for parents and families toward their children. Children shouldn't grow up with threat of God destroying them for being naughty, whether either threatened about hell or Armageddon. Teenagers shouldn't be threatened if they leave the religion that their parents/family would shun them. Unconditional, though imperfect, should exist for family. This is different in other relationships, as in marriage, as conditions (faithfulness and non-abusive) are required and between friends, trust certainly becomes a condition.

As JW children we were not taught in words to any degree of unconditional love when it came to that religion. Actually, many JW children lived in too much fear of God, organization, elders, and congregation status. Children still must be taught guidelines of honesty, responsibililty, and working diligently, do their best, etc.... to be aware of disapproval but the love of their parents will/should motivate them to try their best.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Gayle:

Unconditional, though imperfect, should exist for family.

If my son was Jeffrey Dahmer, I would always have a special sentimental feeling towards him, but "Love"? Not so much. Conditions matter. Even for family.

Just to beat the dead horse one last time, if my father raped me for years, never apologized for it and even flatly denied it, how much love could I have towards him?

(For the record, my father was nothing like that.)

om

• yesidid
    yesidid

I can never understand what people mean when they talk about "unconditional" love.

Surely love must be conditional.

How could you love murderers, rapists, or cruel nasty people, even if they are our flesh and blood.

That does not mean we should treat people badly even if they fall into the above categories.

We can show a loving attitude, we should try to do that to everyone.

But love unconditionally naaaaaaaaaaaaa.

y

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

The closest thing I've experienced to "unconditional love" is from my bird. He doesn't care if I'm old, fat, ugly, unshaven, or smell bad. He doesn't give a damn about my religious beliefs or political ideology. He doesn't care how big my bank account is, how well I dress, or which way I hang the toilet paper. There's still a condition to his love though. I have to love him and be nice to him. I don't believe truly "unconditional" love exists.

W

• White Dove
    White Dove

When we speak of unconditional love on this board, we know it is relative to the kind of love we experienced in the congregation.

We know what each other means because of context.

So, to answer your question, I experienced unconditional love from my grandparents. My parents are just too mental to say anything about. The congregation never showed me unconditional love.

Now that I'm out, where are they?

Now, I have friends who are unconditional within the context of not being a JW so not judging based on religion.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Unconditional love is a term that means to love someone regardless of one's actions or beliefs. It is only when you face a crisis as a JW (where one's actions or belief's come into play) do you really learn where your true friends lie. Most are good at showing lots of love when you face adversity - loss of a loved one, home or economic reversals. Endless casseroles, invites are the norm. However, this is not something unique to JW's - basic human compassion kicks in regardless of ones religious belief or affiliation - so this should not be a stretch for most JW. The real challenge for JW is when it involves your actions or beliefs.

Having gone through such a crisis that involved meddling elders (misapplication of Lev 5:1), gossip that was really slander, CO/DO involvement that was based on biased comments from two jealous elders - one power tripping for my position of COBOE, the other just simply jealous - I had enough. While I was urged not to step aside I had simply reached the point where I had enough. I was always one of those elders that seriously took the assignment as a priveledge not a right of passage as a JW male. It is these ones that are a particular target of the narrow minded, powertripping and selfish. Then the rumours started as to why I step aside, family was hurt by yet more gossip = slander - usual comments about well people will always talk and we need to suck it up. Being told to be the bigger person and overlook imperfection, which left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

So with all of this - out of over 130 people who supposedly "unconditionally" love you, are prepared to sacrifice their life for you and have love amongst themselves a mere handful called - of the BOE - 2 - 3 have take some tacit interest. Yet, workmates, aquaintances, and non-JW family never stopped enquiring or offering help when they heard of our family crisis - total unconditional love from the very ones the WT tells me that have no love or are uncaring, unloving and selfish individuals. What an eye-opener.

Simon Morley

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit