New book the A to Z of Jehovah Witnesses

by life is to short 10 Replies latest jw friends

• life is to short
    life is to short

Has any one heard of it. I just got it emailed to me by Amazon. It seem like a new book just released.

It is by George Chryssides. Has anyone heard of him? Just wondering what kind of book this might be.

To me it seems a little high in price at $40.00 for not really knowing what it is.

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of it or of George Chryssides.

LITS

• Quadraphoenix
    Quadraphoenix

He is an American-Greek and an acquantance of mine.

Regards

Quadraphoenix

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

According to AMAZON it is an 8.4" x 5.4" paperback book of 242 pages. There is no product description, no reviews.

I wonder what the author's basis might be for claiming that such a small book is "the A-Z guide"?

I don't know; I'm not chomping at the bit to be the first person to check it out. Maybe I'm not in the target audience, though. I was "in" for 20+ years and know far more about the WTB&TS now than I did 30-odd years ago when I faded. Maybe the book is targeted at people who know nothing and want to know a little, or maybe it was written by someone to needs some cash flow and thinks that a high price is the way to assure it.

• yknot
    yknot

Is this the one...check your PMs!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yknot - I checked. I have no PM from you.

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Looks interesting, is this new?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Someone posted a link to the whole book in searchable format on here a while ago; sorry don't know where. I read most of the entries: it's very basic stuff; not a great book. The author is a lecturer in Religious Studies who writes about "new religions". I have another book by him called "Exploring New Religions". He generally gives a sympathetic presentation of whatever group he is talking about, including Jehovah's Witnesses, and likes to see himself is dispelling common misconceptions. The Historical Dictionary does mention Ray Franz and a few awkward topics generally, but nothing in detail.

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

It is quite expensive for a dictionary. I looked at a few pages on amazon but does not look too interesting unless someone really has a need to understand all the WT speak from Russell time onward. Not sure if I would have a need for something like this. Anyone here buy this book yet and have any opinions on it?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Here is an article he wrote partially defending JWs against accusations that they attempted to compromise with the Nazis in 1933.

http://www.cesnur.org/2006/sd_chryssides.htm

• nicolaou

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit