On the watchtower.org site: Can a Pagan Holiday Be Made Christian?

by Elsewhere 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

Jehovah's Witnesses have no problem making false prophecy and dates their kind of Christian.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20071215/article_01.htm

Do you find it acceptable that a religious leader would give a seemingly Christian meaning to events and symbols whose roots go back to ancient paganism? As to the proper course, the Scriptures admonish true Christians: “What fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness?”—2 Corinthians 6:14-17.

My reply: Do you find it acceptable that the governing body has ignored Paul's direct counsel in Romans 14 not to judge others on the observances of days?

• JWoods
    JWoods

Do I recall correctly that back years ago, somebody in the WTS actually tried to make up a "kingdom calender" that renamed the days of the week and the months with so-called christian or bible names?

Of course, the whole thing was simply laughed out of existence. Too crazy even for the witness world.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Yet at the same time they promote the use of Wedding Rings, which are of Pagan origin.

Let's add Baal worship to the mix. That is what they do when they throw their innocent children into the fire through abstention of blood when killing the innocent to please God never came up into God's mind. He never ordered it then, and He's not demanding it now.

http://144000.110mb.com/144000/index.html#I

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    My reply: Do you find it acceptable that the governing body has ignored Paul's direct counsel in Romans 14 not to judge others on the observances of days?

Very good point. You beat me to it.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

and you beat me to the point of the JWs sacrifice of their children in the Valley of Hinnom.

• trebor
    trebor

Let's not overlook the Pinata stance either:

September 22, 2003, Awake!, page 24, 'The Piñata - An Ancient Tradition':

"We found that for many people in Mexico, the piñata has lost its religious significance and is considered by most to be just harmless fun...A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues."

-Trebor

• xeracia
    xeracia

Hehehe if you want to get technical...look up the origin of the kiss. It has pagan symbology written all over it and was used in rituals. Try telling the Witnesses they can no longer kiss!

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

trebor, replace the word pinata in that article with b-day, Christmas, etc.

It is no surprise that this leniency was shown in Mexico, a place the WT was trying to get a foothold in.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Like I mentioned before, every tradition we have, including those of the WT , has a pagan "history" behind it.

Its irrelevant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit