Examining Scripture to see if Jesus was, and is, God.

by jonathan dough 204 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Jeremiah

If the son was the Father he would know his own return.

I'm a trinitarian and I don't believe this. You have to stop believing the WT lie. No body believes the Father and the Son are the same person.

Please stop spreading lies.

• jeremiahjs
    jeremiahjs

First of all I am non - denominational, I don't belive mankind can invent a true religion. It's wriiten and I belive God ordains from all his congregations. Many people think and worship that Jesus is God Himself, I was just trying to explain my faith, how i understood the bible. What lie am I beliving and teaching? That the Father is God and Jesus is God's Son? The bible has taught me this fact. What lies do you accuse me of????

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Jeremiahja,

If you are non-denomination why did you say that Jesus ( the word) is "A" god?

Only the NWT has that translation, is that the bibel you choose to learn from?

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    What lie am I beliving and teaching? That the Father is God and Jesus is God's Son? The bible has taught me this fact. What lies do you accuse me of????

It's how you portray Christian beliefs and teachings, and dare I say, the Trinity itself which can't be separated from the discussion. You minimize who teaches that Jesus was, and is, God when in fact it is the VAST majority of Christianity. You portray Christians as believing that they don't beliee that Jesus is the Son of God. Nobody in Christendom that I'm aware of teaches that; that is a JW lie you are fostering. You commit sins of omission. You claim to be non-denominational when you are toeing the JW line word-for-word and propagating their distortions. You should want to analyze what people are trying to explain to you, not just parrot what the Society convinced you to say or what you read in one of their books.

Claiming that you are non-denominational is at best a half-truth because you lifted their bizarre theories out of their literature and and are now passing it off as truth, things like:

"God doesn't have a God he is God. Jesus cannot be God because he has a God, the Father." The Father has no God or creator, He has always been and always will be. God is the only thing in existence that hasn't been created, everything else has an origin at some point in time in the past.

You're entitled to your opinion, noboby has an issue with that. But in your heart and mind you are not non-denominational. The Society has caused a lot of pain, hurt, destroyed lives and families, and despite some good people its actions and theories in many people's opinions are evil. Pure and simple. And what caused so many of these people to get trapped in the first place can be traced right back to non-Christian, heretical distortions that have been calculated to achieve a particular end. The stuff you're shoveling around right now.

The Messiah of the Old Testament stems from eternity - (Micah 5:2; Proverbs 8:22)

Try reading some of the responses on this thread.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

There is more of a case to claim that Jesus is part of a Trinity than there is to say that he was the archangel Michael, but the WT doesn't have issues with bending scripture and interpreting thinsg their own way to justify that view.

• Slappy
    Slappy

Not sure why my first post was incomplete, but here it is again, and hopefully in its entirety.

24Now Thomas, one of the Twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe."

26 Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." 27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe." 28 Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" 29 Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

That is how Jesus responded to being equated with God (John 20).

8Now at Lystra there was a man sitting who could not use his feet. He was crippled from birth and had never walked. 9 He listened to Paul speaking. And Paul, looking intently at him and seeing that he had faith to be made well, 10 said in a loud voice, "Stand upright on your feet." And he sprang up and began walking. 11 And when the crowds saw what Paul had done, they lifted up their voices, saying in Lycaonian, "The gods have come down to us in the likeness of men!" 12 Barnabas they called Zeus, and Paul, Hermes, because he was the chief speaker. 13 And the priest of Zeus, whose temple was at the entrance to the city, brought oxen and garlands to the gates and wanted to offer sacrifice with the crowds. 14 But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of it, they tore their garments and rushed out into the crowd, crying out, 15 "Men, why are you doing these things? We also are men, of like nature with you, and we bring you good news, that you should turn from these vain things to a living God, who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all that is in them. 16 In past generations he allowed all the nations to walk in their own ways. 17 Yet he did not leave himself without witness, for he did good by giving you rains from heaven and fruitful season

• Slappy
    Slappy

K, now this is just getting annoying...why won't it post everything???

8Now at Lystra there was a man sitting who could not use his feet. He was crippled from birth and had never walked. 9 He listened to Paul speaking. And Paul, looking intently at him and seeing that he had faith to be made well, 10 said in a loud voice, "Stand upright on your feet." And he sprang up and began walking. 11 And when the crowds saw what Paul had done, they lifted up their voices, saying in Lycaonian, "The gods have come down to us in the likeness of men!" 12 Barnabas they called Zeus, and Paul, Hermes, because he was the chief speaker. 13 And the priest of Zeus, whose temple was at the entrance to the city, brought oxen and garlands to the gates and wanted to offer sacrifice with the crowds. 14 But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of it, they tore their garments and rushed out into the crowd, crying out, 15 "Men, why are you doing these things? We also are men, of like nature with you, and we bring you good news, that you should turn from these vain things to a living God, who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all that is in them. 16 In past generations he allowed all the nations to walk in their own ways. 17 Yet he did not leave himself without witness, for he did good by giving you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, satisfying your hearts with food and gladness."

That is how Paul and Barnabas responded to being equated with God (Acts 14).

20 Now Herod was angry with the people of Tyre and Sidon, and they came to him with one accord, and having persuaded Blastus, the king’s chamberlain, they asked for peace, because their country depended on the king’s country for food. 21 On an appointed day Herod put on his royal robes, took his seat upon the throne, and delivered an oration to them. 22 And the people were shouting, "The voice of a god, and not of a man!" 23 Immediately an angel of the Lord struck him down, because he did not give God the glory, and he was eaten by worms and breathed his last.

And that is what happened to a man who did not correct the perception that he was God (Acts 12).

With careful attention to John 20:29 and Acts 14:15, why was there such a disparity in the responses?

I have not read into anything for there is nothing to "read into". All I did was give two portions from Scripture (in their context). There is no perspective or indoctrination of mine that can be attacked. I've only given the Bible. God's Word has stood on its own for the last 2,000 years and will continue to do so, even in the face of all who attempt to exterminate, twist, or manipulate it. Kind of

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    Sounds good at first glance, but on closer examination I have to call you on it. There is no "overwhelming proof" right there tells me your a very big exaggerator overwhelming proof indeed!

Stick around, kid. You might learn something.

http://144000.110mb.com/trinity/index-8.html#39

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Slappy does manke a vlaid point, there was no rebuke by Jesus to Thomas.

Of course one can argue that Jesus knew what Thomas meant and no offense was taken or one can argue that Thomas realized the Jesus was God and Jesus rebuked him because he need proof when faith shoudl have sufficed or one can argue that Thomas was so excited that Jesus brought him that very cool "Augusts transformer toy" that Jesus thought he was talking to the toy.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

I have a hard time understanding how the JWs can interpret the following three verses to mean that Jesus was just a man.

1) Thomas called the resurrected Jesus “My Lord and my God” - (John 20:26 - 29)

2) The Almighty says of Jesus “Your throne, Oh God, is forever and ever” - (Hebrews 1:8, 9)

3) And the Word was God - (John 1:1)

Am I missing something here? How obvious can this be?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit