Congregation "Bible Study" Comments - Week Commencing 30 November 2009

by LUKEWARM 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

Cont...

So if people choose to remember the death of Jesus on Good Friday, why is the WTS judging them considering this Biblical injuction:

Colossians 2:16: "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day"

HALLOWEEN IS FAR FROM HOLY

Q15. What is the origin of Halloween, and what may be significant about the date chosen to celebrate this holiday?

15 Known for its witches, goblins, and other grotesque decorations and paraphernalia, Halloween—also called All Hallows’ Eve or the eve of All Saints’ Day—can be traced back to the ancient Celts of Britain and Ireland. On the full moon nearest November 1, they celebrated the festival of Samhain, meaning “Summer’s End.” They believed that during Samhain, the veil between the human and the supernatural worlds was parted and that spirits, both good and evil, roamed the earth. The souls of the dead were thought to return to their homes, and families would put out food and drink for their ghostly visitors in hopes of appeasing them. Thus, when children today, dressed as ghosts or witches, go from house to house threatening a mischievous trick unless they receive a treat, they unwittingly perpetuate the rituals of Samhain.

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

What a mess - sorry about the formatting but its not liking me today…

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    Because Satanists hold that each individual is a god if he chooses to view himself as one. Thus, to celebrate one’s own birthday is to celebrate the birth of a god.

What a completel illogical jump. Since the WT does NOT believe in any other god but Jehovah, they are talking out of both sides of their mouth.

1. No one I know thinks that they are sacrificing celebrating to a god when they celebrate a birthday.

2. Paul, someone who they love, stated that since an idol is nothing meat sacrificed to an idol is nothing; therefore, a sacrifice or celebration to a non existent god is a non existent offering.

That is the worst piece of logic from the WT in a while, and that is saying something.

P

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Joseph A. Fitzmyer is a Jesuit priest and Professor Emeritus at the Catholic University of America. A past president of both the Society of Biblical Literature and the Catholic Biblical Association, and coeditor of The New Jerome Biblical Commentary, Father Fitzmyer has written the Anchor Bible commentary on Romans, as well as books and numerous articles on the Dead Sea Scrolls and Qumran.

http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/book.asp?isbn=9780300139808

So why should you care? Because the WT does use his expertise in their writing.

quote:

After spending many hours trying to trace down the quotes from the Watchtower's "Should You Believe in the Trinity?" booklet, we decided to call the Watchtower's Writing Department to see if they would help. After three tries, they sent us their reference list.

113. "Journal of Biblical Literature," edited by Joseph A. Fitzmyer, 1973, Vol. 92, (The Society of Biblical Literature) p. 85.

http://www.culthelp.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=293&Itemid=8

Check out Fitzmyer's calculations of Jesus' birth. Ask if WT concurs. I'd be curious to know.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

Well, I LOVE Christmas and I am not a Christian and I do not believe that Jesus Christ was the son of "God", nor do I believe that the Bible is "The truth".

I don't celebrate Christmas because I thinnk Jesus was born on a given day. I could care less about that. I celebrate Christmas because it is a time to share love and happiness with my friends and family. And my wife gives the BEST stocking stufffers <wink wink>.

This bickering over when a fictional character was or was not born is so tiring.

• pat1060
    pat1060

Thank you Lukewarm.Excellent job....

• yknot
    yknot

Your effort and Blondie's help me keep sane during my 'captivity'.......!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit