about the BBC panorama expose

by highdose 16 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• bereanbiblestudent
    bereanbiblestudent

CO´s en DO´s are elders just like the Secratary and the Cotboe are elders(and the GB members are also elders), so they should be included in the total count of elders. MS´s and the rest are not.

Just wondering if another member of the congregation would be the molester and he is not expelled the other members that know about it would still not be allowed to warn the rest of the congregation. How would that affect them in a lawsuit, I think they are guilty because the rest of the congregations children are the next possible victims, that could have been avoided if the parents new about it. (and took it seriously, of course many off them, will say he has been repentend otherwise he would not still be a member of the congregation and not consider him or her dangerous)

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

CO´s en DO´s are elders just like the Secratary and the Cotboe are elders(and the GB members are also elders), so they should be included in the total count of elders. MS´s and the rest are not.

Point being though is this still only represents a small fraction of the congregation and they are using weasel words to purposefully make the numbers seem small.

Also note that THEY have not admitted to being sued, only independant elders.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2123546.stm

I personally knew one of the abusers the Panorama show focused on - James Barratt. I knew him whilst the abuse was taking place but like everyone else had no idea what was happening. He was an elder who ran his own very successful quackery homeopathy business. I only ever had a 'nodding' acquaintance with one of his victims, Jordan Grant, as we were not in the same cong'.

Because Barratt was such a well liked elder, amiable, funny and kind (yeah I know), some found it almost impossible to believe that the allegations were true - he consistently denied the charges and, to my knowledge, still does. What made this especially difficult for me was that he was pulling the wool over the eyes of people I cared about, specifically my wifes family.

They would ask me why I believed he was guilty.

I said that none of us had access to the evidence, but that the police did and felt it was strong enough to present to the Crown Prosecution Service. For the sake of our American friends here, the CPS is the body in England that decides if a case should go to trial - it's a good way of ensuring that the Courts do not fill up with frivolous or irresolvable trials.

Barrett went to Court and was found guilty. Three professional bodies, the police, the CPS and a High Court Judge & Jury found him guilty of abuse. That, I answered is why I believed he was guilty.

I telephoned the Detective Inspector, Jim Hill, who had led the investigation into Barratt. He had to be careful what he said but assured me that the nature of the abuse as recounted separately and independently by his two victims was such that there could be no question of them colluding to create false allegations against him. This is aside from any lack of motive anyway!

Barratt was convicted in July 2002, he served his time and on his release he and his wife were moved to various other congregations and ended up in Birmingham. He was reinstated in June 2006.

Now get this. James Barratt's long suffering wife who stood by his side throughout the whole sordid affair lived long enough to see him welcomed back into their new congregation and then died of a heart attack. She was a lovely woman in her 50's and didn't deserve any of this. The strain she had been under the past five years finally proved too much. She leaves a son and daughter - both fine young people.

Rest in peace Gill'.

I do not know of Barratt's current status or how he is viewed - my contacts in JW land are fading fast.

• designs
    designs

nicolaou,

Thanks for sharing an important story. When I was an Elder I was 'assigned' to work with a publisher who was under investigation for child abuse. I spent about two years working with the family and the Social Workers plus the DA. The evidence was not strong enough to go to trial. Having the Social Workers coming by the home regularly helped, I was over at the home several times per week which I hope helped the kids.

None of the other Elders wanted to invest any time with the family, or even the other publishers wouldn't help out. Going out in service was the be all and end all of what it meant to be a good Witness. What these kids needed was socially to have fun, picnics, going to the beach and mountains which my wife and I arranged. Our annual beach party for the congregation was always a big hit.

It was a long time ago, I hope we did some good, it was just time to move on and pursue something of value elsewhere.

• freddo
    freddo

When Panorama aired in the UK it sent shockwaves through the congo I was an elder in at the time. I went with the CO to visit some cong. members who were unsettled by it as I believe they felt that cases involving them or their family were handled in a "misguided, keep quiet and wait on Jehovah" sort of way. Later two of them went to the authorities about two different historical cases which were investigated by the police. And no sanction was brought against the victims and one of them continues as an MS to this day. I also believe but cannot prove that it was this programme that was the catalyst for one of the main victims of Michael Porter to come forward and so it got that rolling.

The letter that was read in all UK congo's - in an unprecedented and unrepeated way they shortened the WT to 30 mins and read the letter which says that anyone may go to the authorities without fear of sanction in the congregation - was the biggest result in my view.

I have said to anyone who wants to know (and some that don't) that that letter is extant and the policy can be viewed on jw.org even today.

For anyone who is not utterly dependent on the elders (and sadly many are and many elders still trot out the "wait on Jah" "and don't bring reproach" lines) they now have the teeth to get the police involved.

Good for the BBC! They have forced the org. to do what it doesn't want to do. God! I hate their supercilious handwringing cowardly behaviour that cow-tows to money and power when they should be a hiding place from the storm!

• dozy
    dozy

I knew a few of the elders in the Stevenston , Ayrshire congregation , who were all removed. Eventually almost all of them got their privileges back. (In fairness , they were just completely negligent , out of their depth & badly informed by the Branch , who hung them out to dry when the going got tough.)

James Barratt works in Redditch and is still active in the Homeopathy business , with a lot of JW clients. I don’t know what congregation he attends. Presumably he is banned from any appointment in the future.

The program had a lot less effect than I expected. Many JWs refused to watch it as apostates were involved. For a while we got a lot of hassle in the ministry. For me , I guess it was another nail in the coffin , though I tried to rationalize it away at the time.

From a child protection point of view , it was very positive for JWs. The WTS tightened some of their procedures.

• AFX
    AFX

Hi. Can anyone answer the last messages here?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/104279/10/WTS-vs-Quotes-Requiem-for-a-Research-Web-Site

Dont know why the thread dont move up too the beggining, soo people can read. :/...

Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit