Worlds Apart

by Dagney 17 Replies latest social entertainment

• Dagney
    Dagney

Oh man! My g/f said she saw it on The Sundance Channel last night!!

http://www.sundancechannel.com/films/500535524

It doesn't appear that it is showing again soon. Maybe make a request to Sundance?

• flipper
    flipper

The elders insist that" she recounts intimate details " ? More clarification please ? LOL ! ( Just joking ) How many times have we heard THAT before ? Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

I watched the trailer... but the dramatic music when the elders walk past like they are government conspirators or Agents in the Matrix made me smile.. and some of the things they said - but its not in English so I guess some of it is lost in Translation.

Kind of like Dirty Dancing, without the dancing heheh..

Then I watched the clips..

"Youve abandoned Jehovah, - we have to call the elders"<dramatic theme music>

they got the humiliation of a JC right though.. and some of those clips were harrowing, the misery at going back to it all. she'll probably be another one on anti depressants forever...

what was the Kevin Costner film years ago?

• compound complex
    compound complex

A Perfect World

• whoknows
    whoknows

I saw it when it first came on Sundance Channel and I highly recommend it. Considering the cultural and language difference, I think it is pretty realistic. It is the most sophisticated anti-witness movie I have seen. Well, the only one that I have seen. The characters are sympathetic and attractive. For me it was mesmerizing. It was Denmark's submission to the Academy for best foreign film, but they didn't get the nomination. It is only available in European DVD format, if anyone knows how to get it for use in the US, I would love to know how.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I watched this movie by chance last night (11/18/09). I missed the start but the name 'Jehovah' caught my attention. It was very good, and difficult (emotionally) to watch in parts. It was a very accurate portrayal right down to the melodies sung. Some people (like the real person this movie was based on) sacrificed a lot more more than me on leaving. It's a 'much watch' for anyone who has been involved with JWs

Third

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Whoknows,

The movie is available in the US from Amazon.com from January 2010.

3rd

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

There was talk of a US version of the film being made.

That would be interesting to say the least!

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

I just finished watching it. it made me cry lot and yes it was difficult to watch. - its made me feel very stressed. - poor girl living a normal life but everything is wrong, a sin. I went through this when I was 17 only the boy I was meeting in secret was a witness, he just wasnt good enough. I stole a kiss, had to end it and write him a letter, but I couldnt sneak out to meet him after to explain. - that was it, no contact. that happened with two boys I met, and like her, I spent all my time, miserable. - the later parts of the film definitely reminded me of leaving and the things your family say to you - 'you have chosen this' 'you have cut yourself off' 'you are the reason'

the only things I think may not have happened in reality (forgetting elder beard with no tie and pants on the ministry) is her brother, - they paint him so lonely - surely he would have made a few friends by now? its as if he was totally alone.. and for that reason he wanted to returrn..but he left because he didnt believe it anymore..

I liked the mother, her attitude to the truth was like mine always was - I think the funeral at the end was interesting, although it seemed to be packed in oddly - like 'we need to get the blood issue in there somehow' i feel it could have been interwoven a bit more - dont know how, maybe when she ignores her,she is so distracted she steps into the road or something.

but it was strange - watching it from others point of view - how they must have seen us. its seriously twisted.

• KingDavidwasframed
    KingDavidwasframed

I just got done watching it. I thought they nailed the acting. It can be so confusing at times when leaving and having ones who you've known for years playing emotional terrorism with you. Well done. Now I have to figure out how to get my kids to watch this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit