The definition of "GOD."

by The Berean 11 Replies latest jw friends

• The Berean
    The Berean

Mine ...

Simply put, God is the invisible power which decides when things begin and end, who and what recieve which assets and/or liabilities, and how rewards and penalties are metted out according to a judicial system of which humans have no input, appeal, or even full comprehention.

And yours ...

• wobble
    wobble

God is Love

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Wobble has bitch slapped the correct and made it a little girl !!

• Caedes
    Caedes

Simply put, God is the invisible power which decides when things begin and end, who and what recieve (sic) which assets and/or liabilities,

and how rewards and penalties are metted (sic) according to a judicial system of which humans have no input, appeal, or even full

comprehention (sic)

Having problems with the old spell checker?!

Is it just me or does this god character sounds like a complete arsehole? If I were a believer (and I'm most definitely not) then I don't think I could bring myself to believe in such a god, surely a god would have to be much wiser and more human to truly be a god.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Definition:

The big guy in the sky used by religion to scare the shit outta you so they can collect money from you when you go to church. He is often portrayed as jealous, murderous, and petty when it comes to being worshipped therefore allowance is made for zealous disciples who kill unbelievers as only carrying out God's will, some have become heroes such as David, Joshua, and other because of their speed and efficiency in carrying out genocide ordained by god.

But as Science and a better understanding of human history continue to grow the biblical god seems to be loosing ground rather swiftly as many see him a mythological entity invented in the minds of the naive and unlearned before they knew the earth was round or just how vast the universe is,, or DNA or many of the things today we take for granted given to us by science.

• xeracia
    xeracia

God is a concept that mankind has made up to explain their own existence.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

or:

God is the result of milleniums of human imagination; unfortunately, the concept of right and wrong, ethical and unethical, moral and immoral, has been imagined as coming from God. This varies over the centuries, and changes; it is changing again, but not for the better IMO.

Right and moral to Yahweh was demanding the death of those considered immoral or even impure, for touching the ark, for disrespecting one's parents.

Yahweh was a warrior god, said to back those faithful to him.

The God of Jesus did not care about ritual purity, and said to turn the other cheek, to forgive.

The God of Amos cared deeply about fairness and social justice; he was said to hate the festivals and holidays of the israelites because they were perverting justice.

Today the imagined God of the hard right again is happy about the death of the impure, unrighteous and non christian.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Well, one thing we do know, God is different things to different people, perhaps there is a lesson in this.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Well, one thing we do know, God is different things to different people, perhaps there is a lesson in this.

God cannot be defined. He is ineffable. We can only say what he is not.

There were six men of Hindustan,
    to learning much inclined,
    Who went to see an elephant,
    though all of them were blind,
    That each by observation
    might satisfy his mind.

The first approached the elephant,
    and happening to fall
    Against his broad and sturdy side,
    at once began to bawl,
    "This mystery of an elephant
    is very like a wall."

The second, feeling of the tusk,
    cried, "Ho, what have we here,
    So very round and smooth and sharp?
    To me 'tis mighty clear,
    This wonder of an elephant
    is very like a spear."

The third approached the elephant,
    and happening to take
    The squirming trunk within his hands,
    thus boldly up and spake,
    "I see," quoth he,
    "the elephant is very like a snake."

The fourth reached out an eager hand,
    and felt above the knee,
    "What this most wondrous beast
    is like is very plain" said he,
    "'Tis clear enough the elephant
    is very like a tree."

The fifth who chanced to touch the ear
    said, "E'en the blindest man
    Can tell what this resembles most;
    deny the fact who can;
    This marvel of an elephant
    is very like a fan."

The sixth no sooner had begun
    about the beast to grope,
    Than seizing on the swinging tail
    that fell within his scope;
    "I see," said he, "the elephant
    is very like a rope."

So six blind men of Hindustan
    disputed loud and long,
    Each in his own opinion
    exceeding stiff and strong;
    Though each was partly in the right,
    they all were in the wrong!

BTS

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

God is the most beautiful thing that's never been seen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit