Santa Claus

by Joshnaz 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

I was thinking about if I should start telling my 2 year old about Santa Claus. After realizing that I've been lied to my whole life from all the JW Bullcrap should I lie to my child about Santa Claus? Do you think its OK to say, "Be good or Santa wont bring you any toys this Christmas." I really want him to have a NORMAL life. Does this include making him think Santa comes down the chimney and gives toys to all the good children? My wife says,"YES, it is normal for a child to believe in Santa." What are your thoughts?

• ninja
    ninja

I would update things and tell him it was aliens

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Santa's not real!?!?!

Just kidding....Seriously, I think that it's normal for children to believe in Santa. It adds some Magicalness (is that a word?) to Christmas for them. It's just part of being a kid...

lol @ Ninja!!

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

If you never were a JW what would you do?

• parakeet
    parakeet

Our son believed in Santa until he was 11. His enlightened classmates often tried to convince him otherwise, even to the point of searching the house for hidden gifts (we had to shuttle the loot around) until he was convinced.

Finally, he found the wrapping paper in our closet, and brought it to my husband. He had to confess. My son said he pretty much didn't believe from 9 years old on, but wasn't absolutely sure. His other response is priceless: "Hmmph. So I guess this means there's no tooth fairy, either?"

I'd keep the fiction going as long as possible. Belief in Santa makes Christmas magical for little kids. From the time they enter school, however, be prepared for the inevitable disclosures her classmates will make.

Do you think its OK to say, "Be good or Santa wont bring you any toys this Christmas."

We never made Santa a heavy, except in the most light-hearted teasing way. He knew darn well enough he was getting presents no matter what.

• undercover
    undercover
    After realizing that I've been lied to my whole life from all the JW Bullcrap should I lie to my child about Santa Claus? Do you think its OK to say, "Be good or Santa wont bring you any toys this Christmas."

The lie of Santa Claus isn't anywhere near as harmful as the lies of the WTS. In that light, I think it's okay to let a child be excited about xmas and Santa and all that comes with the holiday.

Having said that, and admitting up front I have no kids, I wouldn't purposely give credence to the belief of Santa, the Easter Bunny or baby Jesus even. I would be honest about it without trying to be cruel or belittling their "faith" in Santa. When it is time for them to accept the truth, your honesty from the start may help that transition...and it gives them real faith in the parent that was honest with them.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Like all things .. he'll grow a brain and figure it out himself.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

If you never were a JW what would you do?

Probably the best way to look at it, but, remember santa is a lie too

• Quandry
    Quandry

I would update things and tell him it was aliens

Ninja, thanks for the laugh.

This reminds me of one thing the WTS wrote in a Kingdom Ministry many years ago. They were calling some to task that were going to doors saying, "I have a message for you from outer space." I thought it was hilarious at the time, and a clever opening at the doors....others didn't share this concept of humor.

• dissed
    dissed

My daughter was 13 when we started to do Xmas. So Santa never came into the picture.

My nephew's kids were like 3 and 5 when they did Xmas and decided to not bring Santa into it. Just had a good time as a family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit