Evolutionists - please help!

by Georgiegirl 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

OK. (taking deep breath) I am finally at that point in my recovery where I am ready to look at evolution as more than a loose theory which is clearly disprovable by the fact that all the bones proving it could be in a coffin. Or, um, some illustration like that.

I feel like first I have to "unlearn" the JW teaching of evolution to learn what "real" evolution is. Then, learn about THAT and then see how I feel. Someone (a devout Catholic) told me once that she is a firm believer in evolution and that it is the process God used to create, so she has no conflict with being both an evolutionist AND a creationist. Me? I'm not sure I even believe there is a God at this point. (amazing how coming out of JWs destroys your belief in God, isn't it? I mean, a Lutheran could change and become a Presbyterian but never lose faith). ANYWAY.

I would really like some suggestions on some SIMPLE books/articles, etc to read so I can ease into this slowly. I'm not looking for scientific equations and complex explanations. I just want the basics right now before I go further.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Misconceptions About Evolution

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/misconceps/index.shtml

Five Major Misconceptions About Evolution

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html

Over at the ex-JW forum JWS, a poster named 'Cofty' is offering commentary on each chapter of Richard Dawkins' new book, as he reads it. You may enjoy some of it.

http://www.jwsupportforum.com/index.php?topic=7718.0

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

PERFECT!!! Thank you.

• dgp
    dgp

If I'm not mistaken, John Paul II said that the Catholic Church could no longer hold evolution to be a lie. These were not his exact words, but the meaning of what he said was something like "the fossils are there. How can we sustain the dinosaurs did not exist, or were planted by some evil design? Of course evolution is more than just recognizing that "the bones are there", but the bones being there do serve as a starting point.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Georgiegirl, I HIGHLY recommend the book Science and Earth History by Arthur Strahler. It is 500 oversize, small print pages dealing with the Evolution/Creation controversy from the evolutionist point of view. It is very well worth the $44 that Amazon charges. The book covers its subject in detail but it is written at the public level so don't let that scare you away, I'm no scientist myself. If your library has it, or if it can be borrowed through an inter-branch loan go ahead and preview it.

villabolo

• Spook
    Spook

Evolution: What The Fossils Say and Why It Matters. Full of pictures of the oft-maligned fossils. Flipping through it will show you the visual gist, but if you read it you'll know...

1. Where they were found geographically.

2. Where they were found geologically, and

3. What that means.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Evolution is accepted by more "open minded" christians as one of God's tools.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

What's an "Evolutionist?"

• villabolo
    villabolo

BTS:

What's an "Evolutionist?"

A person who believes in evolution. Just like uhmmm a Creationist is a person who believes in Creationism.

villabolo

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

I think evolutionist is mainly used by creationists as a pejorative label.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit