Home Is Where The Heart....... Isn't!

by ISP 10 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

.......Thats how a typical JW home is. The JW home can be a curious place. In my earlier years I pioneered with a brother who would eat his dinner, typical diet of beans on toast, out of the pan…you would get a plate! This saved time, in his opinion. I guess so. His ‘pioneer breakfast’ was cornflakes with water. This was self denial at its best. He also told me that he would go for weeks on oxo cubes. He lived in a flat, apartment for US dudes. No maintenance worries I guess. But many a typical dub home was in varying degrees of disrepair. Some were neat and tidy but so many were really a mess. One pioneer couple had newspaper as curtains and piles of bricks in the living room for ages. Redecorate? Well not really many of the elders homes had been the same in the 20 years I was in the borg. To pay attention to the home was considered a ‘weak’ thing to do. Working in the garden was another low priority matter. I remember a pioneer sister saying that planting a tree was a sign of weakness in that you expected the system to go on to see the tree produce. I guess Dubs should just concentrate on bedding plants! Home is where the heart is………..not in the JW home. For too many I knew the home is a place where you eat and sleep. Somewhere you can return to after the ministry…and that’s about all. Shame!

ISP

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

ISP, I liked your observation. I take it Oxo Cubes are like Hormel's SPAM. I also remember congregation members having brick bookshelfs. Place two bricks, one on each end, followed by a 1X8 board, and the stack continues upward from there. When I bought a house, many said to me, "Why buy a house that you will not pay for by the end of this system?" Well, thanks to some careful financial planning, my house is paid for. I am living a better life today then if I stayed in the Org.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    I take it Oxo Cubes are like Hormel's SPAM

If only! Oxo cubes are just beef stock cubes! The guy must have lived on practically bread and water; so much for the earthly paradise!

"Oh God! To hear the Insect on the leaf pronouncing on the too much life among his hungry brothers in the dust." - The Ghost of Christmas Present

• ISP
    ISP

Hey WTG, Jayhawk....I was also told to rent when I got married! Glad you got your own place!

ISP

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Beef stock cubes? Damn, I guess that gives the old Wendy's commercials a new meaning of "Where's The Beef?"

For the non-USA people Wendy's is a fast food hamburger store.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Jeremy's Hate Mail Hall Of Fame.
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/ and [email protected]

• ISP
    ISP

Yeah.....you can make gravy from Oxo cubes. It is also a drink...if you like that sort of thing!

* http://www.britstore.co.uk/itmidx11.htm

ISP

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

We never got Wendy's hamburgers here, Jayhawk. (Although we've seen that add in various forms...) When you say Wendy's here, you're talking about ice cream stands. However, for some reason, New Zealand got both Wendyses. Best of both worlds, eh?

"Oh God! To hear the Insect on the leaf pronouncing on the too much life among his hungry brothers in the dust." - The Ghost of Christmas Present

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

That's right ISP, you reminded me, kind of like a Cup-A-Soup! Great fare for the future inhabitants of Paradise, eh!

• ISP
    ISP

Steph, at £1 for 12 cubes...you can live cheaply! Nice........

ISP

• razorMind
    razorMind

My 2 best friends, who grew up with us as JW's, lived with their 4 siblings and parents in what must have been the SMALLEST mobile home ever manfactured. I was only about 11 and recognized it as a very old model. It only had 2 tiny bedrooms. Their dad (a total dictator)had the nerve to have the congregatio over for "gatherings" at his house, like where were we supposed to sit?

Sometimes my friends and I drive past it and try to visualize how they ever fitted into that tiny mobile home.

ISP, I am tripping on what that pioneer sister said about the tree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit