My JW Best Friend

by OnTheWayOut 21 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have always said to those that had questions about fading that they should expect to lose their friends. It seems that in the vast majority of cases, only family (and sometimes not even them) are willing to overlook JW-weakness and maintain relationships. If you do keep a friend of a JW, then they are potentially deep into JW-weakness. So here's my story of my friend.

I had this JW best friend for years. We originally worked together in the floor-scrubbing, janitorial type of work that JW's do. We worked at night and went out in the preaching work in the day. He pioneered and I didn't at the time, but we were the best of friends trying to support each other in "the truth." I became an elder and he was a bit of a wild surfer dude that, at the time, did not really qualify for position but was a very faithful pioneer, believing in the cause.

He moved away and despite his being a six-hour drive away, I continued to regularly visit him. I was the best man at his wedding. (I was already married when I met him, so he was not the Best Man at my wedding.) My wife and his wife accepted us as the best of friends and fully supported our visiting each other a few times a year. The wife and I would typically take a weekend here and there and visit him in the small town he lives in. He continued to pioneer along with his wife. I know virtually his entire family. His mother is still a faithful JW, but a very free-thinking person. All of his siblings have had rocky roads and some of them have "come back to Jehovah" after some problem that caused their DF, and many of them have not come back. But they all faced it, except for him- a steady faithful JW, a pillar in his congregation.

One day, out of the blue, he called me and asked about a judicial matter that took place. He had some weaknesses and was counseled a few times. Finally, he confessed some weaknesses to the elders and they DF'ed him for it. I was kind of shocked that he would come forward and they would DF him. He said that they told him he ignored counsel and even lied about the matter. (The only lie he told was when they asked "How's it going with your personal problem?" He answered "Fine.") I told him he needed to appeal the matter (as it was the day of the JC that he called me) and proceeded to tell him what they did wrong (in my opinion, but I am sure I was right). He listened and decided that it was going against Jehovah's arrangement to appeal this. He just wanted to take his "reproof" or "severe discipline" and start back on getting reinstated.

He did not appeal, he kept going to the meetings and was reinstated in about 6 months. I do think he had resentment for the elders in his small-town English cong. because shortly after his reinstatement, he moved to a foreign language cong. and learned that language after moving there.

When I first spoke to him about appealing, I told him that I would continue to talk to him and help him in any way I could. He said "NO, I want to get reinstated so let's just follow the rules." He phoned a couple of times in the next 6 months for advice and I gave it to him, but essentially we had no contact until his reinstatement. I was still pretty much a firm JW and an elder at the time, but I had already recognized that "this generation" was not coming to an end necessarily in my lifetime, so I had already viewed the JW rules differently. I had felt free to do as I saw fit instead of checking with WTS, and just not bother to tell the elders everything a person does. My friend knew that of me, and it seemed to be a common bond. I don't think he stayed quite the same over the years, though.

Fast forward quite a few years. He's an MS in his congregation (probably will make elder in a few years or so) and my wife contacted him when I first stopped attending the meetings altogether (as a fast fader). He has continued to call me and try to be a friend. I visited him once when my cross country drive with the wife took us near him. His calls initially were about how "the truth" did so much for him and how Satan warps everything outside of WTS and how he already completely investigated the possibility that WTS is wrong. I think he only read one outside book- THE KINGDOM OF THE CULTS. I tried to read that, but even though I might agree with the majority of what it says, I found it to be more of a handbook for religious intolerance than a book on identifying cults. It seemed very much MAINSTREAM vs. NON-MAINSTREAM in addressing Christianity. It was very heavy on how LDS were wrong because they disagreed with scholarly thought. Again, I can agree with the book, but still not care for it. I doubt it did much for a believing JW reading it.

Anyway, my JW best friend slowly came to the conclusion that he wasn't reaching me. He still continued to call ever so often, but his calls came to be of a very surface relationship. So I called him yesterday and asked him "What about the 800-pound gorilla in the room when we are talking?" I reminded him about my being willing to speak with him while he was disfellowshipped but how he wanted to follow the rules. "Am I free to discuss
    the gorilla in the room, my contentions with WTS, or would that be some violation of the rules to you?"

His reply was that I was not DF'ed or DA'ed, so we can speak freely, BUT he has an obligation to stay spiritually clean and will no longer discuss "spiritual matters" with me as long as I am refraining from meetings and all things WT related. He said I am welcome in his home still. He said he would always be there for me. He said he would even be there for me if I were to become disfellowshipped. "OH, I wouldn't be able to have you in my home and we wouldn't be buddies like we are now, but if you were in trouble and disfellowshipped, I would be applying Christian principles and be there to help you."

So, I pushed a bit and got the answer I expected. He is still all about the rules. He is a friend, a very good friend who will bend the rules, but a very conditional friend who will not break them. Oh, I could still be good friends with him. But anyone who has read my stuff on here knows that I am bitter about WTS duping me and holding my wife and mother captive still. To know that my "best friend" cannot even hear the most basic of my thoughts and concerns about why I don't go to the Kingdom Hall is a bit much. And to consider that if I were in dire straits in some imagined future where I have been DF'ed, that I would think to call such a person, then that person doesn't really know me anymore. If I were a suicidal DF'ed "best friend," why would I want to call him so he could tell me that Jehovah understands and is ready to help me? I am just not about that anymore.

So, despite what he said, I am now mourning the loss of my best friend. He will make elder one day and feel compelled to have less contact with me.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I never understood what kind of moral or just even reasonable grounds allow them to make an elder out of someone who has been disfellowshipped...I have a former friend who married three times, was DFd twice, and they have somehow now again made him an elder.

Unbelievable on both sides - that they would do it and that he would still want it.

After all that drama...

• undercover
    undercover

Thanks for sharing...it must be tough.

Looking at it from a strictly impersonal, unattached way...better now than later. As long as he puts the WTS first, your friendship is conditional. Deep down you knew it, you just needed to confirm it. Now you know where you stand and you can act accordingly.

Still hurts though, I know.

On the positive side, though...maybe, since he's had some issues in the past, he'll stumble on to something that shakes him up and he'll awaken from the stupor. If and when he does you can be there to guide him through the pain of leaving the cult and be able renew the friendship.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

Im sorry about the loss of your best friend. Sadly, it's another example of a 'conditional' friendship that you thought would stand the test of time - but ended up being short lived. What was said by another poster is true: now you know where you stand!

Unfortunately I had a friend like this. She is the 'in/out' type...she would be strong for a few years, get hooked up with a worldly guy, then become inactive and leave the org for awhile relocating to another state. Then dude would dump her and she would suddenly 'love Jehovah' all over again - and confess to the elders. She has gone through this cycle 3 times in all the years I've known her, and each time I have ALWAYS stood by her!! Repeatedly told her that no matter what - i would be there for her and be her friend. And i kept my word too...all 3 times. Now when I was DF'd, she told me the same thing - that should'd be there for me and always be my friend - and I stupidly believed her. Fast forward to about 4 mos ago - this latest guy dumps her and she 'loves Jehovah' once again. She goes to the elders and was getting DF'd - she then proceeds to tell ME that she can no longer speak to ME as she wants to 'do things right this time' and that involves NOT associating with ME. I went OFF on her...and I probably shouldn't have, but I felt betrayed and she needed to hear that how she was treating me was wrong. It freakin hurts to invest time and emotions into a person and when you need them most, they turn their back on you - NOT because you had a falling out, NOT because you did them wrong - but ONLY because you are not the same religion anymore.

• willyloman
    willyloman

OTWO: My condolences. Mourning the loss of "best friends" is all too common among us ex-dubs. It speaks volumes about the condition placed upon "love" by the WT Society and those to adhere to her death-dealing doctrine.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If your not a JW..

There are no JW Best Friends..

In Watchtower World..

Any JW Friend..Is an Illusion..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• Open mind
    Open mind

That was a good, sad, post Jerry.

Here's to better friendships out of the Borg.

om

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks everyone.

JWoods, I kind of agree. Even from a JW viewpoint, I always thought it best that those that "stumble" should be content to be in the flock instead in the shepherding class. Also, yes it is strange that my friend can totally excuse what happened to himself and totally feel that he wants to be an elder. He isn't reaching out like it's something he needs. He reaches out because he thinks it is the right thing to do, similar to me. But he'll take it when they dangle it in front of him.

UC- I just wanted to be sure I knew where I stand. He stops short of saying he would feel an obligation to follow the rules and "turn me in" if I told him anything. I think he would, though. First, he'd try to tell me to stop telling him something, then the inevitable if I did not stop.

BG30, my deepest sorrow for our shared loss of two different people.

Willy- yes, it does speak volumes.

Outlaw, I always knew that any JW friend is an illusion. I just wanted to be sure. Thanks.

• VIII
    VIII

Very good post. Very sad. Makes me remember a lot of things.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

OM- thanks. I have great friends already from my much-improved life outside the Borg. Room for more, too.

VIII, I want to post my share of things that might help others while I help myself. Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit