According to bookstudy, it's ok to beat wife.....occassionally

by JWinprotest 110 Replies latest jw friends

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

I apologize if this has been mentioned, but I don't have the time to come on here as often. Yesterday's bookstudy on divorce got my shorts in a bit of a knot. Apparently, according to the God's Love book, a wife could consider legal separation from her husband if she is physically abused, but (get this) only in the case of EXTREME physical abuse, and if the wife's life is in danger. One sister commented that the husband would have to display a PRACTICE of violent behavior and it would not include a one time mistake or rare fits of anger. The study mentioned that if one decides to legally separate for this reason they are not free to remarry.

My wife did not come with me to the meeting, so I couldn't wait to get home and tell her that the bible (according to the wife beaters in Brooklyn)said it's ok to slap you around a bit, as long as I don't make a habit of it. She didn't find it as funny as I did.

Am I becoming so angry at the WTS that I'm picking on them, or does this sound so ridiculously stupid to anyone else?

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Sickening, isn't it?

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

OMG Do they hate women or what...?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Am I becoming so angry at the WTS that I'm picking on them, or does this sound so ridiculously stupid to anyone else?

You know the answer to that.

• snowbird
    snowbird

As a child, before becoming a JW, I witnessed so much abuse that the WT's cavalier dismissal of it used to infuriate me!

Why did I stay as long as I did?

Sylvia

• zarco
    zarco

In a talk by Ted Jarazc at a Special Assembly Day, about a year ago, he essentially said the same thing. He encouraged women to stay with their husbands in such circumstances so that they could be "won without a word". I wrote about it on this board some time ago. What a hedious, backward teaching. Saddest of all, many women will take this as guidance from god.

zarco

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

When you consider that the entire populace of the borg is basically used to being in an abusive relationship with their religion and their god, this isn't that shocking. From an outside perspective though, it's absolutely infuriating! The cycle of abuse is already a difficult and stigmatic one to be in and damn tough to break out of, this kind of bullshit from "leadership" makes it that much worse. Honestly, this kind of treatment of women is much of why I can't stomach the idea of returning to the borg EVER!

• blondie
    blondie

As to physical abuse, how many times could a brother hit an elder and that elder not take steps by calling the police? Yes, that definition is foolish and when in the congregation I advised many a sister to get into a safe place and helped her despsite any interference by the elders.

• Heaven
  • iknowall558
    iknowall558

He encouraged women to stay with their husbands in such circumstances so that they could be "won without a word".

I suppose when you've had your teeth knocked out, then it would be ..'without a word'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit