Was Jesus a hunchback, unibrowed dwarf?

by villabolo 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• villabolo
    villabolo

I recall some time ago reading a book (I forgot the title) that stated that there was an early Church tradition about Jesus being deformed. One source described him as being 3 cubits tall-4 1 / 2 feet (males at that time and region were on average 5'4"), hunchbacked, long face with a unibrow that made him look terrifying when he looked at you.

I was wondering if any of our scholars, Leolaia or Narkissos are familiar with this issue and perhaps enlighten us with some references.

villabolo

• avishai
    avishai

I doubt a unibrow would even have been noticed back then, i.e different standards of grooming, and it WAS the middle east, so that to begin w/ makes the description suspect.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Avishai: "I doubt a unibrow would even have been noticed back then . . ."

Yes, I do realize that unibrows were somewhat common in the middle east like they are among people of Arabic descent but I believe the point that the authors had in mind was the impression of the whole face.

villabolo

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

So why did Judas have to betray him with a kiss, instead of just saying "He's the hunchbacked dwarf with the unibrow"?

• glenster
    glenster

It's an idea falsely attributed to Josephus:

http://www.shroud.com/comments.htm

• villabolo
    villabolo

Tenebreux: 'So why did Judas have to betray him with a kiss, instead of just saying "He's the hunchbacked dwarf with the unibrow"?'

That's a good question. Although I believe that Jesus was a historical figure I am a Skeptic who takes all scriptures with a grain of salt. It's possible that the betrayal or portions of it was a fictional story for some reason. Since the evidence for his description seems so scanty I was calling out to our scholars here at JWN and see if they knew anything about this.

villabolo

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Think again!

• snowbird
    snowbird

This image of what Jesus may have looked like is on the cover of Popular Mechanics this month.

Remember this?

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

You will notice that nowhere in any of the books and letters of the NT do you see any physical description of ANYONE.

But he probably look like this:

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I think you're thinking of Richard III

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit