What do you think will happen to cause an exodus or at least push JWs into further obscurity?

by the_dude_abides 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• the_dude_abides
    the_dude_abides

I'm always asking myself this. I believe someday it will be as obscure and strange as say the Russelites. The meetings will only be attended by ppl over sixty or so and it will hardly be considered anywhere near as significant a religion as it is today. I wonder what will begin this process. Some say that it will suffer from not having an endtime deadline or the disfellowshipping policy. Any thoughts?

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

The only thing that would cause a mass exodus is if they change their main doctrines (no trinity, no immortal soul, earthly class) to make them more mainstream, like the Worldwide Church of God did after Herbert Armstrong's death. Besides that they will always have a core, loyal following for decades to come.

• flipper
    flipper

THE_DUDE_ABIDES - Welcome to the board ! Nice to have you.

I feel to cause an exodus or push Jehovah's Witnesses into even more obscurity than they are would require a MAJOR scandal of some sort- not just 16 child abuse cases settled out of court, but an even bigger scandal. Perhaps hundreds or thousands of child abuse cases revealed at once or a financial scam like happened to Jim Bakker in the 1980's where it is discovered the WT corporate attorneys and governing body members have bilked milions of $$$$$ from the rank and file witnesses and hidden the money in off shore bank accounts deceptively. If THAT was exposed I think that a sizeable amount of JW's would tilt their heads and start using their authentic minds and not their cult controlled minds.

Even still, some would just say it was Satan influencing the news media putting it out and would continue knocking on doors preaching

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Isaacaustin and I have discussed the "Take-the-Money-and-Run" scenario where the GB and the lawyers grab the cash somehow and just up and leave for some island that won't extradite. That would be awesome. It would be a shock to many firm believers, but we would be there to offer help and point them to ways to start realizing the real truth.

Short of that, the mass exodus of people is probably more realistic. I think it will continue as a slow exodus, but we can dream, hope, scheme.

A huge scandal could come out. Maybe the next generation of Governing Body could have more than one member come out and declare the whole thing a snare and a racket. Imagine if they did this in a very public way. "IN THE NEWS, Brother OTWO of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses spoke at one of their conventions today and admitted they didn't have God's blessings, but were just a money-grubbing corporation. More than one member in the audience made their video available for our newscast and posted it on youtube. At the same time Brother OTWO was speaking in NYC, Brother Isaacaustin, also of the Governing Body, gave the same announcement in Los Angeles at another convention."

The scandal could be something about the pedophiles issue. Perhaps, a celebrity like Prince or Serena Williams could announce some aweful discovery and it snowballs into an avalanche. Or the scandal could be about catching the Governing Body in some terrible act- sneaking a video recorder into their upper chamber and revealing something about the way they operate. Maybe they would be talking about manipulating things to make more money and fleece the flock.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

How many JWs have died, thinking that Armageddon would happen during their lifetime?

How many apostates have died, thinking that the collapse of WT would happen during their lifetime?

Someone let me know when they stop shunning family. In the meantime, it's all the same.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    What do you think will happen to cause an exodus or at least push JWs into further obscurity?

The Return of Christ.

• the_dude_abides
    the_dude_abides

I agree with the 'slow exodus' thing. I guess the 'mass exodus' was not a good way to describe it. I think another way though would be if after Jarazc (sic?) expires, someone else will be appointed who will have some crazy ideas and turn people off. In my experience certain D.O.s were so weird that they turned a lot of ppl off but they weren't the GB so ppl didn't attibute the organizations faults to these guys. What do you guys know about the new guy who will be appointed after Jaracz?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The WBT$ has had over 100 years of Scandals..

One after the other..

It never ends!..

Your average Jehovah`s Witness is so Brain Dead..

Nothing the WBT$ could do..

Would make a Difference,to your average JW..

They just don`t care..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• nelly136
    nelly136

i dont think it will be sudden, i think it will be gradual.

the young ones are leaving, the old ones are dying. the ones that are hanging on in there for sake of family are leaving as they die off.

• the_dude_abides
    the_dude_abides

I like that math, nelly136. I think that's right true. A lot of ppl are still doing it to please their parents. I know from personal experience that when my parents left I had very little motivation remaining and I allowed myself to think critically for once. And I do know some ppl who I'm convinced are doing it because they would break their parents' hearts otherwise. I think its stuff like that, little things that will amount to the organization becoming very unappealing and obscure to reasonably intelligent ppl. I will eat my hat if my friends, all of whom are pretty bright, are still in the organization 15 years from now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit