What do you make of the Alpha Course?

by boyzone 88 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

(Back) to the op: when I was exiting the WT (mentally first) this was a very painful question to me.

I had a somewhat similar episode -- although less dramatic than many -- in my own story: when I was about 12, in a Catholic boarding school, and hating it passionately (perhaps more because of the family situation that brought me there than the religion per se) I remember praying to God along the line: "If you want me to follow this (the Catholic way), I will; but if there is something else you want me to do, please show me." I didn't know my father and stepmother had already started studying with JWs.

And now (14 years later) I was in Bethel, reading the NT as if for the first time, and steadily drifting away from the JW religion, heading to "apostasy" sooner or later. I my own half-conscious "reading," "God" had brought me to the JWs and now was leading me away.

I had resigned from Bethel but the brother in charge of translation dept. asked me to stay a few months more because of urgent work. I agreed (mostly for him). That was the time of the year when next year's (1986) Yearbook had to be translated within a few weeks. So I found myself translating story after story of people "led" to the organisation, through difficult decisions in hardships and persecution (I had taken the part about Portugal, as I was in a Portuguese congregation then). And I remember the pain was unbearable. Often I had to stop, lock myself in the dark and pray: "I don't understand." At that point I could not really put "fake," "the devil" or "coincidence" into the equation. Nor question my own current path -- just too subjectively obvious. So I had to accept that "God" was actually "leading" people in completely opposite directions at the same time. The scriptures that came to my mind at this point were the reply of Jesus to Peter asking about the beloved disciple in John 21 (in sum): "none of your business -- you follow me" -- or the pericope about the "free-lance exorcist" in Mark 9.

My perspective has evolved since, of course, but I still believe it was a very important "spiritual" experience because it helped me to beware about the abuse of binary logic in theology and elsewhere. The kind of logic which underlies your proposition # 1: "God sent them and I was wrong to leave."

• designs
    designs

The Alpha course sounds awful. Psycho-Babble and a remix of Calvinism. Christianity and humanity suffered a serious setback with that nutcase dictating theology and societal standards for a few centuries. Can you imagine if the same format where used at Assemblies how the critics would howl.

The Jesus of the Protestant Trinity is a sad twisted contradictory character.

• boyzone
    boyzone

Chalam

Thank you for your advice. Your reply in essence is saying, "trust God and he'll answer you". Well from my point of view it'd be better if he answered me first then I might be able to trust him - do you see what I mean?

AnnOmaly

Thanks for the quote, especially the last sentence - definately food for thought!

Narkissos

Thank you for relating your experience with this. Did you really think God lead people in opposite directions? Wow, thats quite a thought isn't it?

If thats a possibility, then I can't really generalise my dilemma with just 3 options. Every individual and situation is different and (if what you surmise is correct) God acts according to those individual circumstances even leading them to experience what ultimately turns out to be false, and then, when the time is right, leads them out.

I truly feel I was led out of the WT Society. Still to this day I can't explain how scripture after scripture would come to my mind and completely demolish some "truth" I thought was set in stone. 144,000, 1914, 2 classes of christians etc. It all happened so quickly too, in a matter of a few days, my belief system had been dismantled and my eyes opened, just be re-reading certain scriptures that I thought I knew so well. Yet I wasn't seeking to prove JW's wrong, I just was reading the bible without "watchtowerizing" the text.

So perhaps God did lead me in - and when the time was right for me, led me out too. Hmmm, something I gotta chew over. Thanks again for your input.

BZ

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough
    Well from my point of view it'd be better if he answered me first then I might be able to trust him

A bit presumptuous considering we are just bugs in His eyes. Maybe He answered you and you didn't notice or didn't like the answer. Maybe your heart wasn't right.

Narkissos
    Thank you for relating your experience with this. Did you really think God lead people in opposite directions? Wow, thats quite a thought isn't it?

Interesting thought, Nark. He leads us to evil so we can see and know it. Then away so we can do our part to expose it and help others escape it? But isn't there Scripture to the effect that God never tempts us with evil? I'm paraphrasing.

http://144000.110mb.com/trinity/index-6.html#32

• besty
    besty

Jesus! its complex being a Christian - not only invisible, silent men in the sky - now they are telling you two contrary things at the same time - whats a guy s'posed to do?

the voices..the voices.....

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Jesus was led by holy spirit into the wilderness and he was tempted there for 40 days and forty nights. He didn't try to evade the situation

edit: hope this helps - metaphorically speaking that is

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I tried to relate my "experience" as I perceived it on the moment -- although it is, of necessity, a reconstruction. Should I try to explain it now I would certainly resort to a measure of objective "coincidence". But that would not do justice to the subjective side of what happened. I did feel then like I had been "led" inand was being "led" out (in much the same way boyzone describes) and had to deal with this understanding. Perhaps the Jungian concept of "synchronicity" would be better here as it attempts at including both "sides".

I think (now, and due to this experience among other things) that the exclusive, either/or, tertium non datur criteria of "true" and "false," "right" and "wrong," "good" and "evil" apply very poorly to a number of topics and especially religion. We are infinitely much more complex than that. So might be "God" or whatever this word stands for.

• Perry
    Perry

When I was 23 years old I started praying that God would make me hate sin and love righteousness. I did that for a couple of months. Having a 4th generation JW childhood, naturally, I was reading my Watchtower and Awake much more regularly while I was waiting for an answer.

Eventually, God answered my prayer rather dramatically. I assumed that this was a green light from him directing me to dive into the Watchtower lifestyle. After 8 years I realized it wasn't. I then spent another 8 years lost.

It would have been easy to play the victim and get mad at God, throw a fit and blame him for my unhappiness. I did go through a period of being a little miffed at God about the delay in my salvation. But, I've never been comfortable in a victim role. I am not a victim. The reality is that I never have deserved to be called by God.... at any time. The only thing I truly deserved is Judgment.

For me, I have come to realize that I was only ready for "Conviction" the first time God moved in my life. It took another 16 years for me to be ready to say good bye to my Mother and Father, which is what every Jehovah's Witness child must do if he accepts Christ in a New Covenant way to avoid personal judgment.

Perhaps you'll understand one day God's timing in your life....perhaps not this side of Glory. God is sovereign and he acts in accordance with his own just, righteous and loving counsel.

Daniel 4:35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?

This in no way is being mean, because God sent his Son to suffer and die in our place, so we don't have to. That's real love....dying for your enemies. It just means that he exercises his attributes as sovereign, supreme ruler....as he rightly should.

If you are saved now, then things happened right on time. God can see the beginning and the end, we simply can't, and we never will be able to.

• metatron
    metatron

Please read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity

Especially the examples. Weird things like this happen all the time. It borders on ESP.

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit